Damn Dirty Ape

CPU usage spike every other second? SAS Pro

I've noted on my SP2 XP box that SAS Pro spikes the CPU every other second.. going from maybe 2-4% to sometimes 14-19%. If I exit SAS Pro the spikes stop. I have realtime enabled but no scans or updates are happening.

Is this something known or is it something wrong in the setup? I tend to not think it's the setup as both a laptop (AMD turion 64 x2 tl-52) and a Core 2 duo e6600 desktop both exhibit the same thing..

I've noted on my SP2 XP box that SAS Pro spikes the CPU every other second.. going from maybe 2-4% to sometimes 14-19%. If I exit SAS Pro the spikes stop. I have realtime enabled but no scans or updates are happening.

Is this something known or is it something wrong in the setup? I tend to not think it's the setup as both a laptop (AMD turion 64 x2 tl-52) and a Core 2 duo e6600 desktop both exhibit the same thing..

That is our real-time process scanning that is doing that - even though the task manager or process explorer will show a "spike" of 10-15%, the timeslice/amount of actual process time that is being used is a very small window of time, perhaps only a few tenths of a second so it really is not impacting your computer performance.

ahh ok, I had tried just tonight the 3.5 beta and saw the same. Finally narrowed it down a few minutes before I came here to the realtime checkbox.

That's the "bad" thing about task manager showing CPU usage - if it shows 15% for a split second, people assume it's "wasting" 15% of their entire CPU all the time - which is far from the case.

ahh ok, I had tried just tonight the 3.5 beta and saw the same. Finally narrowed it down a few minutes before I came here to the realtime checkbox.

That's the "bad" thing about task manager showing CPU usage - if it shows 15% for a split second, people assume it's "wasting" 15% of their entire CPU all the time - which is far from the case.

Nonetheless, it is quite annoying and gives a bad impression even though performance is not impacted. I guess I could remove my CPU monitor from my desktop. :roll:

Al

Nonetheless, it is quite annoying and gives a bad impression even though performance is not impacted. I guess I could remove my CPU monitor from my desktop. :roll:

Al

You really keep the CPU monitor on your desktop? Do you hook yourself up to a heart monitor and call the doctor if your heart rate increases? :) Just kidding - but really, the task manager and cpu usage is really only good if something is using the cpu for a long period of time.

You really keep the CPU monitor on your desktop? Do you hook yourself up to a heart monitor and call the doctor if your heart rate increases? :) Just kidding - but really, the task manager and cpu usage is really only good if something is using the cpu for a long period of time.

Yes, and that's not all I keep on my desktop :lol:

433fi37.jpg

Hey , how did you know about my heart monitor? :lol:

Al