Sign in to follow this  
sammy

Does SAS have to start at startup to enable schedule scan?

hi all - im trying to find out weather i can upgrade to the full version and NOT have it working in "real time" OR NOT have it start up with Windows ....

can i still schedule it to start scanning at a certain day & time ?

there will be times when i might choose to allow it to start with Windows and have it working in "real time" but for the most part - not.

thanks all in advance.

hi all - im trying to find out weather i can upgrade to the full version and NOT have it working in "real time" OR NOT have it start up with Windows ....

can i still schedule it to start scanning at a certain day & time ?

there will be times when i might choose to allow it to start with Windows and have it working in "real time" but for the most part - not.

thanks all in advance.

In SAS PRO, there are selectable options to turn on/off real-time protection and to not have SAS start up on system startup.

HOWEVER, SAS PRO must be running in order to perform a scheduled scan. That is because the trigger for the scheduled scan is built into the SuperAntiSpyware.exe and is not setup up separately say as in the Task Scheduler. You could manually activate SAS prior to the scheduled scan time, but that would be a bit awkward to remember. :blink: You do not have to have real-time protection active for the scheduled scan to execute.

@siliconman01,

thanks for clearing that up....

of course it makes perfect sense. i guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

i guess you saw where i was coming from with that - because i noticed that you said that i wouldnt be able to pull it off with task scheduler either ....

:roll:

@siliconman01,

thanks for clearing that up....

of course it makes perfect sense. i guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

i guess you saw where i was coming from with that - because i noticed that you said that i wouldnt be able to pull it off with task scheduler either ....

:roll:

In theory you could use the Task Scheduler in Windows to start SUPERAntiSpyware.exe at some point just prior to the scheduled scan that way it would be running and would therefore initiate the scan as scheduled.

@exile360 ...

talk to me - you just left me h a n g i n g....

tell me / please explain...

thanks for chiming in - of course.

I jUst thought of something - if i wouldnt be taking advantage of the "real time" and not having it start with Windows, most of the time anyway .....

would i just be wasting money unnecessarily to upgrade OR are the defintions different.

i mean i understand that the pro would have more features - and thats great but are the protection definitions the same?

thanks again guys !

@exile360 ...

talk to me - you just left me h a n g i n g....

tell me / please explain...

thanks for chiming in - of course.

I jUst thought of something - if i wouldnt be taking advantage of the "real time" and not having it start with Windows, most of the time anyway .....

would i just be wasting money unnecessarily to upgrade OR are the defintions different.

i mean i understand that the pro would have more features - and thats great but are the protection definitions the same?

thanks again guys !

A tutorial on creating Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP can be found here. As for whether or not it's worth purchasing, that's up to you. The definitions used by the Pro and Free versions are identical, however, with the Pro version you don't get scheduled scans or automatic updates and of course you don't get realtime protection. If you are willing to run the scans manually and don't want the realtime protection or automatic updates then the free version will work for you just fine, but if you want any of those features you'll need to buy a license. There is no way to schedule a scan with the free version, even through the Task Scheduler, because SAS does not use commandline parameters to tell it to run scans, all you could do is start the SAS process which would not perform a scan.

hi exile360 ,

yup - i gotya....

thanks again for jump'n back in ....

i decided to stay wi th free version (for now anyways) and just run the updates and scans manually.

and yup, i caught on to that when i was just about to finish scheduling the task ....

i said to myself "what the heck am i doing.... im only gonna launch the program if i do that"! duh!

i might actually invest in the pro version later though.

thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated. :mrgreen:

also - thanks for clearing that up about the definitions - i really kept on wondering about that too.

thanks again!