Sign in to follow this  
confused

Help! None of the Icons are Clickable

As per the Subject, I have a problem. I got infected by 'av.exe' which is 'ieantivirus.exe' or 'ie-av.exe' trojan infection, you can see a lot on google about it here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=av.exe+removal&aq=f&aqi=&oq= however, after running S.A.S I find myself with a strange problem, that is NONE of my icons or shortcuts work. That is to say, I can't click ANY icons in my Programs Group, or in the Start Menu Group, or my Desktop everytime I double click on such it informs me that I have to choose which program to use to run this program. The problem is this happens for EVERY program on my computer.

Can anyone advise me if this has happened before and if so, how did you sort it out?

Many thanks.

Hi. I have the exact same issue as above as of this morning, after using SAS to remove "XP Antispyware 2010" which seems to be a very similar program to the above poster's. Any help would be much appreciated.

Had the same problem but managed to fix it -

Turns out that after SAS fixes the virus Windows no longer recognizes .exe file extensions. Try this link My link and select "EXE File Association Fix". Open the file in Winrar or whatever archiver your pc has and double click on xp_exe_fix.reg. Allow it to update your registry & you should be back in business.

Had the same problem but managed to fix it -

Turns out that after SAS fixes the virus Windows no longer recognizes .exe file extensions. Try this link My link and select "EXE File Association Fix". Open the file in Winrar or whatever archiver your pc has and double click on xp_exe_fix.reg. Allow it to update your registry & you should be back in business.

Thank you for replying. I had real fun yesterday trying as I might to get things working, I eventually came across kellyscorner and their .exe file registration fix, then had problems getting the system to recognise the existence of the .reg files as such and not renamed .txt files, eventually I think I found the same compressed files and eventually somehow managed to find a means of extracting it.

Now I've got a few other 'problems' that I'm trying to get to the bottom of, hopefully someone will assist with that. Incidentally, I am or was 'confused' but my isp messed up their email servers whilst changing over to google, the result my authentication url timed out so my original account yesterday was cancelled seemingly. This is the reason why I'm now replying to you from this account, incase you're wondering :)

So once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my plea.