Sign in to follow this  
dave

sinowal.l c:\dptrack.sys

Hi folks,

C:\dptrack0.sys

Microsoft Security Essentials keeps reporting this file as being infected with DOS/Sinowal.l.

It says that it has cleaned this threat but keeps reporting it.

It won't be deleted.

What is this file for ?

Do I have to wait for a tool to remove it if required ?

Thank you

Dave.

Have you tried rebooting into SAFE MODE and running a Complete Scan with SAS? If so, does SAS detect dptrack0.sys as an infection and attempt to remove it?

I tried safe mode ( as other infections caused a blue screen by irq problems ) , neither SAS or Malwarebytes found any of these infections.

There were about three other infections , all found any cleared by the Microsoft product . Admittedly the Msoft entry said that they were mostly added to the database during December.

Go to the link below and run dptrack0.sys through VirusTotal to see if other AV programs are detecting this specific file as malicious. It is possible that Essentials is falsely detecting this file. Post back here the results of the VirusTotal scan.

http://www.virustotal.com/

If other AV's are finding dptrack0.sys as malicious, submit the file to SuperAntiSpyware and the gurus will prepare a detection/removal rule within SAS.

https://www.superantispyware.com/precreateticket.html

You should report it to Microsoft as a false positive so they can fix their detection rules. I don't use MS Essentials so I am not sure how to report an FP to them.