tmb2610

Edited: Having an issue wiht a threat!

Try 'Malwarebytes Free' and 'a-squared Free'. I use them both along with SAS.

Malwarebytes is a highly acclaimed anti-spyware and complements nicely other similar products in that it focuses more on malware that other products miss.

a-squared has a very powerful engine and a very large database. I hope one of these two can clear the problem for you. Failing that I would recommend PrevX which offers a free (in the cloud) scan but requests you to purchase a license before it will remove the culprit...

I hope this info helps you

Good luck

and

Merry Malware-free Xmas...

:)

Hi Tmb2610 and a very Merry Xmas to you!...

I am very glad you managed to swat the bugger... Mbam lived up to its reputation again. It's a great companion to SAS and your AV.

I use all three together in 'live' mode and a-squared for occasional off-line deep scans. My AV is NOD32 AV 4 and I also run Online Armor Free as firewall. I must say that I have had no malware except for a few odd tracking cookies.

I am very pleased with this combination but I still look forward to the time that SAS and Mbam implement an incremental database update just like NOD32 and a-squared do.

Again, I am very pleased that I have been of help.

I hope you have a happy and malware free New Year!...

:)

Hi sunshine !

Why do you use SAS as well as Malwarebytes ? What does it do that Malwarebytes doesn't ? I use AVG as AV and the windows firewall. Should I change those ?

Happy new year to you and thanks again for your help

Hi sunshine !

Why do you use SAS as well as Malwarebytes ? What does it do that Malwarebytes doesn't ? I use AVG as AV and the windows firewall. Should I change those ?

Happy new year to you and thanks again for your help

No single product can catch everything on a given day. SUPERAntiSpyware cleans up many infections Malwarebytes can't touch, and MalwareBytes catches things we don't - SAS+MBAM is a great combination. Think of it this way : Why does a football team have more than one defensive player to tackle the ball carrier? Because no single person (or product) can catch the ball carrier every time. It requires team work - SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes (and others) are allies in the fight AGAINST malware.

Hi again tmb2610

As another poster said, two guards are better than one...

However, you need to weigh up effectiveness against system resources used. I think Mbam and SAS are two of the lightest antispyware apps for live monitoring. At first I was in two minds as to which one to have on, but after some tests I see that using both in live mode does not impair the speed of my system. So I keep them both along with NOD32 and Online Armor. I use a-squared just for occasional on-demand scans. It is very good but heavy on resources for live monitoring.

As for AVG, I get the impression that it is not as effective as NOD32 (I love old Noddy...). For a free antivirus I would use Avira which (from what I read) has improved a lot and gets top ratings in group tests. Same goes for Online Armor Free. Definitely better than the Windows firewall and probably better than most of the 'paid' firewalls.

I also use Spywareblaster and MVPS Hosts file - Get it from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

My general rule is: Use products that are good AND LIGHT

All the best to you

Sunshine