genegold

SAS Pro Update: Odd (and annoying) behavior

SAS Pro gives a pop up that updates are available. Click ok to update now and the Application Update Wizard box comes up. With that comes two big problems:

1) No "available updates" show after a reasonable amount of time, but if clicking on Cancel there's a warning about losing the update process; however, after cancelling, open the main application window and it shows the definitions update as having occurred while all this is going on, but there's no message to the user and the box doesn't close automatically as one would expect. 2) During all this, the Wizard box hogs the focus; I can type this message with the box up, but there's no way to minimize the box or send it to background, and thus no way to manipulate pages behind it. Doesn't this seem like nonstandard programming?

Then 15 minutes of browsing later, the same available updates box pops up and this time it downloads quickly (I have a fast cable connection). What gives?

So are you know running SAS V4.32.1000? Do your normal daily updates (core/trace) occur okay? What Windows operating system are you running?

This sounds like something did not update properly during a SAS program update. A possible solution is to uninstall SAS via the special uninstaller at https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASUNINST.EXE and then re-install V4.32.1000

No, I was (and still am) running 4.31.1000 on XP/SP3. I assume the update was for 4.32..., but I haven't restarted the computer yet.

Reinstall seems premature, unless the behavior described is really unusual and indicates something wrong. Perhaps the server was busy but doesn't report it? Is the wizard not showing any results supposed to hog focus? I haven't paid attention lately, since most updates are handled automatically, but I recall some time ago little update oddities would sometimes happen. But that was a previous install, i.e., a previous hard drive.

Reinstall seems premature, unless the behavior described is really unusual and indicates something wrong.

Well, what you described in your original post is definitely "unusual" as compared to anything I've experienced with SAS PRO on Windows 7 x86 or x64 or Vista x86 or x64 with high speed cable modems. :?

Last night I noticed odd behavior as well. Automatically getting a popup to update the program. I do all my updating manually so don't know what's going on. When I updated the definitions at 7:30 CST it worked OK. Running SAS Pro (for a long time now) 4.31.1000 on Vista SP2.

Have not had time to investigate further but will wait to update the program until I hear more on this forum.

Thanks...

John in STL

It could have been that our update servers were at high traffic loads. We have a distributed server system. If you experience the same problems on the next update, please keep us posted.

That seems likely the case, but it doesn't account for the program's behavior in that wizard box taking over the screen focus. And it would be helpful if there is a server clogging, the problem offered a mention instead of just hanging.

Mine still had odd behavior, with the update popup appearing on it's own, later this morning. I finally updated the defs again manually by right clicking the tray icon and doing "check for updates". Defs updated OK and the popup appeared for the program, so, I went ahead with the updating. Everything appeared to go normally until it was finished. At that time two SAS icons were left in the tray and both indicated the update had taken to 4.32.1000.

Did a restart and the machine booted normally and appears OK. I consider this a closed case for me unless something else raises its head.

John in STL

Mine also showed the program update notice and ran the update with this morning's start up, although last night it did the same thing and appeared to download and install the same program update, up to the point where restart was necessary. Perhaps that duplication is an oddity of the program. All that doesn't explain the other behavior I mention, tho, which is nonstandard, even when the server is not delivering.