JerryM

Antivir rogue?

Since my friend got infected by Antivir I have been asking on the forums if any AV or suite will intercept and prevent that malware from infecting the computer.

So far no AV has claimed to be able to do so. I have read that SAS (along with MBAM) can recognize, block and prevent infection. Is this true if it is running full time?

I'd 'kinda like to hear it from the "horse's mouth,"

Thanks,

Jerry

Yes, the rogue is using a good name.

So far I have not found anyone that claims an AV will detect and remove it. I think SAS and MBAM should, but he used SAS and it did not completely remove it. After reboot the pop up continues, but far fewer.

I have decided to run either MBAM or SAS along with my AVs.

MBAM is next to try. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Jerry

Yes, the rogue is using a good name.

So far I have not found anyone that claims an AV will detect and remove it. I think SAS and MBAM should, but he used SAS and it did not completely remove it. After reboot the pop up continues, but far fewer.

I have decided to run either MBAM or SAS along with my AVs.

MBAM is next to try. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Jerry

SUPERAntiSpyware should block and remove the rogue - if it does not, let us run a diagnostic and we can see what is going on.

He had used SAS in an attempt to clean antivir, and it did help, but did not get it all. When he would attempt to go on the internet he got a large pop up that his computer was infected and he needed to buy the rogue. It had prevented him from getting his mail, and prevented downloads.

This morning I took a CD with MBAM and we put it on his computer. Without an update we ran a quick scan and it detected and completely removed antivir. So he is OK now.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Regards,

Jerry

He had used SAS in an attempt to clean antivir, and it did help, but did not get it all. When he would attempt to go on the internet he got a large pop up that his computer was infected and he needed to buy the rogue. It had prevented him from getting his mail, and prevented downloads.

This morning I took a CD with MBAM and we put it on his computer. Without an update we ran a quick scan and it detected and completely removed antivir. So he is OK now.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Regards,

Jerry

Yes MBAM is great at removing the traces, we tend to focus more on the "heart" of the infection (rootkits, etc.) and MBAM has an excellent trace-based engine.

I now have lifetime licenses for both and for both computers.

I think I am pretty well fixed to run them alongside my AVs.

Regards,

Jerry

I now have lifetime licenses for both and for both computers.

I think I am pretty well fixed to run them alongside my AVs.

Regards,

Jerry

Great choice! A single solution is not enough these days.