nosirrah

heuristics

I have loads of microsoft files created on 3/31/04 at 7:00 AM on my test system . No matter how many times I reload this machine these dates always stay the same . I have found that certain malware also spoof their creation date and time to match this .

Other trends that I have seen are .sys files outside of the drivers folder and files with hidden and system attributes but no version tab under properties .

Does the protective feature of SAS Pro heuristicly detect any of these tricks ?

I have loads of microsoft files created on 3/31/04 at 7:00 AM on my test system . No matter how many times I reload this machine these dates always stay the same . I have found that certain malware also spoof their creation date and time to match this .

Other trends that I have seen are .sys files outside of the drivers folder and files with hidden and system attributes but no version tab under properties .

Does the protective feature of SAS Pro heuristicly detect any of these tricks ?

We many variations of heuristic definitions in our database. We don't base anything on simply date/time created, or .sys files without version information, as you would be surprised how many legitimate files are created this way by regular application developers :(

What about an adjustable heuristics scale ? My guess is that heuristics generates some kind of a score and if the score is high enough a potential positive hit is registered . I would like to be able to adjust the sensitivity of this scale or add things that heuristics looks for . Some kind of heuristics control panel would be nice .

Just an idea .

What about an adjustable heuristics scale ? My guess is that heuristics generates some kind of a score and if the score is high enough a potential positive hit is registered . I would like to be able to adjust the sensitivity of this scale or add things that heuristics looks for . Some kind of heuristics control panel would be nice .

Just an idea .

Thanks for the suggestions :) Our hueristics operate differently than most other products - we are very geared to avoid false positives and the heuristics are per definition, so they are not really adjustable on a global scale - in our testing and field testing we have found this way to be safer for the user and allow us more control "under the hood".

I will of course keep your suggestion on our list of items for possible inclusion on a future release!