Sign in to follow this  
Wowhead

Installed SAS Free, removed Cookies, Now Avast! Issue

Hi,

I heard that SAS Free is really good, so I downloaded it and installed it. It found and removed 12 cookies, so no biggie there. However I then scanned with my Anti-Virus, Avast! free. At the end of the scan Avast said there were several files it could not scan. This has never happened before, so I have to conclude it is related to installing SAS.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? How can I correct it? I don't want to start leaving chunks unscanned on my computer. This has never occured with Ad Aware, Spybot or Malwarebytes, I use them all the time.

I have used Avast! for ages without any kind of problem (unlike Kaspersky which gave me no end of trouble), so I am inclined towards blaming SAS. I figured it must be that it deleted the cookies and Avast was reporting it couldn't find them, so I restarted the computer and scanned again. The same thing occured.

I am not sure how this happened, and I would prefer to keep SAS if this can be fixed as it came to me highly recommended.

Can someone let me know what is going on?

Thanks!

Hi Wow,

Honestly speaking I am not the right person to assist you. I have a group of people who are highly expertise in computers and system. Let me talk to them. If they have the solution, I shall get back to you. Though for this I would require at least 3-4 days time. I hope you don't mind bearing this time.

I could assure you that if I am back with the answer, you would not require for any other solution.

Cheers.

The files Avast can't scan could be system locked files, or files that are quarantined from another security program.

Please post the files Avast can't scan, as well as the SuperAntiSpyware scan log.

Hi all

Thank you for your responses, but I think I fixed it. It occured to me that maybe SAS didn't delete the cookies, but just move them like Avast does. So I opened up Quarantine and looked, and there was a file there holding the stuff I had told it to remove. I deleted it and ran Avast again, and it came up like normal.

So, I guess Avast must have a problem scanning anything quarantined by SAS. So long as it's not something I need and I delete the quarantine after it has been quarantined to remove it permanently, it doesn't look like it will cause any more problems.

If it happens again I will post screenshots so you can see them :)