lalittle

SAS and Win7 64bit -- compatible or not? (Event log errors)

According the the SAS faq, SAS is supported under Win7 64Bit -- it just runs in "32bit mode." After installing the latest version on a W7 64bit system, however, I'm seeing event log errors pertaining to SASKUTIL.sys and SASDIFSV.SYS, i.e:

\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

I see other posts referring to similar errors on W7 64bit systems, and some people stating that SAS is not actually W7 64bit compatible at this time. I'm therefore confused about whether or not I can safely use SAS on a W7 64bit system. Is there any "official" word about these error events being logged?

I guess the bottom line question is this: Do the error events imply that SAS is not running correctly, or can they safely be ignored?

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks -- that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Regarding the startup fix, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "if you suspect they are at fault" because I'm not seeing any actual "faults" other than the event log errors themselves. Were you talking about a situation where I WAS seeing other issues?

My only other questions are if and/or how the SAS_StartupFix.exe program effects subsequent updates to the program, i.e:

- If I do an update, do I need to re-run the fix? What about unistalling/reinstalling SAS?

- Will there be an SAS update that eliminates the need for the "Startup fix" program, and if so, do I need to "undo" the startup fix changes?

- On the same note, will there eventually be 64bit drivers for SAS, and if so, will I need to "undo" the startup fix changes before installing that version?

- Most importantly, given my particular situation (i.e no issues other than the event log errors), would you recommend that I NOT run the startup fix, or is it "possible" that running the fix could prevent OTHER issues from happening?

Sorry for asking so many questions about this -- I'm just trying to fully understand the situation so I don't get confused later.

Thanks again,

Larry

I downloaded SAS_StartupFix.exe, and Zonealarm (which uses the Kaspersky AV engine) popped up with a "malicious file" alert. It doesn't actually identify it as malware, but it appears to think it "might be." The "details" say "The files content, layout, and format resembles that of malicious software."

I just wanted to make sure that I'm getting the correct file, and assuming I am, I wanted to let you know that Zonealarm/Kaspersky has this reaction to it.

Thanks,

Larry

does SAS ever intend to create a 64bit version? or are we 64bit users stuck with 32bit SAS drivers? if i can get a clear answer to that question, then i can either wait or switch to another piece of software. just stinks to be left in the dark that's all. on the forums it seems like a 64bit version will be available soon, but im not sure if that is accurate or not.

i recently jumped to win7 ult 64bit, and ran into this issue as well. but i have removed SAS hoping that a 64bit version would come out soon.

what does SAS_StartupFix.exe actually do?

i'd prefer to not sure on 32bit drivers if at all possible especially for a piece of software i've paid a lifetime subscription on.

Lalittle,

SUPERAntiSpyware will run just fine in Windows 7 64bit but with 32bit drivers.

Our drivers aren't needed for 64-bit Windows, but the software attempts to load them without checking the OS. The only side-effect is that those errors appear in the event log, however, if you suspect they are at fault, you can run this utility:

https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SAS_StartupFix.exe

Select "Disable startup drivers" and then click the yes or no button depending on if you want SUPERAntiSpyware to start with the computer or not.

I had the same issue with Win7 64bit and the Events seen by the poster.

I ran SAS_StartupFix.exe and I still got an error in the event viewer.. although it was different.. here it is...

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

SASDIFSV

SASKUTIL

So, I decided to use AutoRuns to disable those 2 drivers, and voila, errors gone :)

Thought I should mention it...

Regards,

M

I had the same issue with Win7 64bit and the Events seen by the poster.

I ran SAS_StartupFix.exe and I still got an error in the event viewer.. although it was different.. here it is...

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

SASDIFSV

SASKUTIL

So, I decided to use AutoRuns to disable those 2 drivers, and voila, errors gone :)

Thought I should mention it...

Regards,

M

I actually see that error as well -- I just pasted the other one as an example.

I didn't try any fixes yet given that SASService said "The only side-effect is that those errors appear in the event log." I'm still hoping for clarification on this, but this sounds like the errors don't actually effect anything else, and can safely be ignored. If this is the case, it seems like the best/easiest thing to do might be to just ignore the errors while waiting for a fix.

Larry