destrukt

No Internet/Sound after SAS scans

Hi all,

Firstly want to thank anyone who can provide me with any assistance. I installed SAS after noticing some random IE browser popups. I ran SAS's full scan and without a doubt it found quite a few things on my pc, both file items and registry ones (and once I get SAS working again I can tell you all exactly what it found).

I quickly scanned through the findings and none of them seemed liked they needed any further consideration, so I quarantined all of them...and all was good on my computer - no more popups. A day or two later, after trying to watch a movie on my harddrive, I got an error msg saying there was no sound card or that it was improperly installed. I figured my pc just needed a restart, but after doing that not only did my sound not work, my internet was disabled as well.

Since then I've been unable to get SAS to run properly again. I came to the website which provides different SAS versions to try if the original doesn't start. The different versions have started, but they randomly shut down after a few minutes of performing a scan. Same thing happened in safe mode. Right now I've got the SASSAFERUN.COM performing a scan on my pc and hopefully it doesn't shut down either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to try and reenable these things? A couple other things I've noticed is that:

1) in msconfig, under the Services tab, about 90% of the listed services have their status as "stopped"

2) in device manager, there is a expandable category listed as 'other devices' which contains 'Multimedia Audio Controller' & 'PCI Simple Communications Controller' - both of which have the big yellow question mark + exclamation mark icons to their left

Hello.

To start, you'll need to install the drivers for the audio card, and the dial up modem (if you want it). The drivers can be found on the computer manufactures web site.

If you have trouble finding the right drivers, post back with the make and model of the computer, the version of Windows you're running, and all the devices that have a question mark or exclamation mark beside them.

Hi destrukt:

I am a user of SuperAntiSpyware.

Here is an idea I have used a few times and it has helped me with the problem you are having.

First I check my msconfig file on the system tab and a lot of mine are stopped also. You may not have a problem there.

Second on your device manager I have had yellow check marks also in the past. The way I corrected them was to right click on the yellow checked marked item and delete it. Then do a reboot and when it boots up, if the driver is on your computer, the ones you deleted will try to reinstall again. It has worked for me.

sOulbAit

Hi Soulbait.

That would be "uninstall", not "delete" :)

If the drivers are indeed on the computer, the above would work as long as the computer had the drivers and the device is enabled. Also, instead of restarting the computer in such a case, you could uninstall the device, right click on any device and choose "scan for hardware changes". ..then windows will search for the drivers.

With that being said, you could also right click on the device, choose "update driver", then allow Windows to search online for a driver.

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

The Dell site provided me with a soundcard driver update and I downloaded it to a USB key and loaded it to my ailing desktop. It started installing until it tried to run InstallShield Wizard, when it gave this error:

The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC server is unavailable.

I've got the soundblaster drivers cd as well but it doesn't autorun and I'm not sure which file to use.

I just noticed that anything requiring Windows Installer does not run because it says there is a problem with it, and restarting the PC doesnt help this. System Restore doesn't work either. I'm starting to think my PC is doomed right now :?

'PCI Simple Communications Controller' - is that just for dial-up? My wireless internet adaptor isn't working either but it's listed as normal in Device Manager.

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

The Dell site provided me with a soundcard driver update and I downloaded it to a USB key and loaded it to my ailing desktop. It started installing until it tried to run InstallShield Wizard, when it gave this error:

The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC server is unavailable.

I've got the soundblaster drivers cd as well but it doesn't autorun and I'm not sure which file to use.

I just noticed that anything requiring Windows Installer does not run because it says there is a problem with it, and restarting the PC doesnt help this. System Restore doesn't work either. I'm starting to think my PC is doomed right now :?

'PCI Simple Communications Controller' - is that just for dial-up? My wireless internet adaptor isn't working either but it's listed as normal in Device Manager.

I am not sure about the install problem. But you said the System Restore does not work either. I have also had problems with the System Restore. I was able to do a system restore in safe mode. You may want to try that, if you have not done so already.

Hope this helps.

sOulbAit

It sounds like the spyware may have overwritten many of your drivers/files. That's not related to SUPERAntiSpyware, but related to the virus/spyware you have - you may wish to try doing the CD/DVD repair installation to see if that will right the files. Always back up your data when you have a severe infection.