robinb9

Problems with upgrade in Windows 7

I have 6 clients on home premium windows 7 32 bit. All are administrators. 4 of them do not have any other account but their own set up as an administrator. 2 have a limited account set up for friends and family but they were not on that side at the time. All 6 where running the previous version before this new one which is pro or free 4.29.1004

when the program popped up the white and blue box and said "you need administrator rights to run this program"

This is not happening on any of my vista nor my xp clients.

Windows 7 is based on vista but there must be some kind of change for this to be happening.

The only way to get it to upgrade is to exit the yellow bug and right click on the desktop icon and click "run as an administrator".

what happens when you first do this is- 2 yellow bugs appear in the taskbar and then you see the white and blue popup box and then you can do the upgrade.

Well this is a crazy way of doing this because all my clients are beginners and i cannot believe superantispyware is just for intermediate users or advanced (and i am betting even they would be perplexed on what to do) and this never happens in vista to any of my clients who have it.

This needs to be looked into because if you think i am going on every computer that i sell or fix running windows 7, to do the upgrade- think not.

robin

i i wanted to post it because i wanted to see if anyone else is seeing the same thing. and also you did not reply back that you are looking into it

robin

Thanks, this worked on two W 7 ... Before I checked you your forum, I did everything but exit the bug and it wouldn't work... Once I exited the bug, no problem...

Thanks... ;) ...

Hi Robin.

I haven't seen that SAS Pro issue on my customer's Vista or W7 systems. A clue might be that I always disable the UAC.

Guys,

This happened to me with Win7 and 4.29. I believe it is because you are still on the older Oct SAS version 4.29 not 4.30.

So here is what I did:

1. Close all SAS windows, so only the bug is in the systray

2. right click the bug, choose Check for Updates

3. Choose to update via the popup

4. close down SAS completely

5. Go to Start and open SAS from program menu

6. If the version doesn't say 4.30, (or hovering on BUG) then retry it.

Alternative method: Use the SAS Alternate Start icon to start it up...as RUNSAS

This may not solve the original problem of Admin priveleges, but I suspect that kinder gentler Win7 UAC was freaking out the old 4.29 application and halting the auto updating of the new Nov11 app 4.30 version

it will be interesting if this happens again when this version needs another upgrade

besides this really should not be happening and you should not need a work a round to do it

robin