jbob

Shutdown of SAS after scan completion vs tray icon

Hi Nick and others,

I made a search through the forums to see if my question has been asked before but didn't notice anything so..........

I've not really tried SAS on my home systems here as in reality I don't really need it because of other protection mechanisms I use however I routinely recommend it to others.

I decided to give it a shot on one of my systems here using the latest release, 3.4. I wanted to become a little more familiar with it.

What I find is a little curious to me and would like some clarification. Once SAS has started the only option it appears to shutdown SAS is by right clicking the SAS Bug icon in the system tray(of course there's Window's Task Manager). It does not shut down when selecting Close from the main menu. After some further experimenting I have found that if the tray icon is set to display then the above it true however if the tray icon is set to NOT display then selecting Close or even the X (close) in the upper right corner of the main gui window will close SAS and remove it from memory.

Perhaps this should be posted in the suggestion forum but not sure if this is by design or not. I have verified this on 2 systems. It would seem to me that the SAS tray icon should at least be visible while SAS is running regardless of whether the main settings are set to hide it or add another setting to allow for this behavior. As an alternative if the tray icon is set TO display with SAS running perhaps there should be a dialog box on the main gui window to allow for shutdown of SAS over and above the right click menu.

I had thought in the few times I had set it up on others systems that by selecting Close that SAS was shutting down and freeing up memory. I see now that is not the case. The reason I question this is with the Free version Real Time protection is not active so why does SAS need to remain in memory?

Hopefully I was clear!

Thanks

Hi Nick and others,

I made a search through the forums to see if my question has been asked before but didn't notice anything so..........

I've not really tried SAS on my home systems here as in reality I don't really need it because of other protection mechanisms I use however I routinely recommend it to others.

I decided to give it a shot on one of my systems here using the latest release, 3.4. I wanted to become a little more familiar with it.

What I find is a little curious to me and would like some clarification. Once SAS has started the only option it appears to shutdown SAS is by right clicking the SAS Bug icon in the system tray(of course there's Window's Task Manager). It does not shut down when selecting Close from the main menu. After some further experimenting I have found that if the tray icon is set to display then the above it true however if the tray icon is set to NOT display then selecting Close or even the X (close) in the upper right corner of the main gui window will close SAS and remove it from memory.

Perhaps this should be posted in the suggestion forum but not sure if this is by design or not. I have verified this on 2 systems. It would seem to me that the SAS tray icon should at least be visible while SAS is running regardless of whether the main settings are set to hide it or add another setting to allow for this behavior. As an alternative if the tray icon is set TO display with SAS running perhaps there should be a dialog box on the main gui window to allow for shutdown of SAS over and above the right click menu.

I had thought in the few times I had set it up on others systems that by selecting Close that SAS was shutting down and freeing up memory. I see now that is not the case. The reason I question this is with the Free version Real Time protection is not active so why does SAS need to remain in memory?

Hopefully I was clear!

Thanks

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition remains loaded so you have instant and easy access to the scanner at anytime, and so you can use the right-click on a folder/file scanning. Windows manages the memory well, so if you aren't scanning the memory will be swapped to disk and won't slow down or effect your system in any way.

If you uncheck the "Show SUPERAntiSpyware Icon in System Tray" when you click the [X] (Close Button in the upper right hand corner of the screen) the product exits. This is by design.