Sign in to follow this  
sh4rkbyt3

Adware.NicTechNetworks

I am currently working on a Dell Inspiron 1100 with Windows XP Home Edition SP3.

Using several anti-software programs I've been able to remove over 800+ infections but I'm having difficulty removing the Adware.NicTechNetworks issue which I am assuming is probably some type of Trojan/Malware, despite it's Adware monicker.

I've installed SAS and manually added the update program.

A few of the symptoms:

Random BSOD on startup and shutdown informing me of an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which then directs me to restart using F8 into Safe Mode. Once there I have two different accounts showing Administrator as well as "Mike". Use same removal methods in both accounts but still the issue persists. Upon startup after what appears to be a successful removal I get a Microsoft Windows window "This system has recovered from a serious error", if I click on the Don't Send button I get repeats of the same window. I don't click submit because I believe it to be a part of the infection. The only solution is to leave it on the screen untouched.

Using HijackThis I've found repeated appearances of McAffee which I've removed several times even using the MCPR removal tool as well as a file called "sxlntr.exe". Upon removal through HijackThis, 3 instances of McAfee reappear as well as 3 instances of "sxlntr.exe", also 2 Kernel Fault checks - HKLM\..\Run:[KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k.

Unable to connect the laptop to the internet as both wireless and hardwire connections get captured and the computer is unable to connect despite receiving a signal through both types of connections. Even used LSP fix as well as flushed the DNS and released/renewed ipconfig.

After over 22 hours of scanning and removals I'm starting to get a little frustrated.

Hello.

IMO, you're wasting your time trying to fix the errors.

You might get away with an XP repair install, but given your description of the errors, you're most probably looking at data recovery and restoring the system to factory condition.