bjm_

SAS | 3 .exe listed in Firewall Program Control

Hello,

I'm curious why SAS populates 3 .exe entries in my Firewall Program Control.

Only app I have ever seen to generate more than 1 entry in my Firewall Program Control SAS.jpg

What is each .exe for

Regards

bjm_

well, looks like no one likes my question...

so, I ask it again

Why does SAS create a new Firewall Program rule every time I access the UI

Thanks for all your help.

What Windows OS are you running (with service pack number) and what is the name of the firewall software with version number? Are you running SAS PRO or SAS free?

Something does not look correct with these firewall entries. Those strings of numbers following C:\Program Files\SuperAntispwyare\ indicate that something is not installed correctly concerning SAS. I recommend the following:

1. Download the special SAS removal tool SASUNINST.exe and save it on your desktop.

https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASUNINST.EXE

2. Download the latest V4.28.1010 of SAS from the link below. Save it on your desktop

https://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

3. Close down SAS.

4. Double click on the uninstall SASUNINST.exe icon on your desktop and let it uninstall SAS. Reboot.

5. Following the reboot, go into your firewall and remove all the SAS entries.

6. Install SAS V4.28.1010.

7. Set up all your preferences and also run Update to download the latest core/trace files.

Now what is your firewall showing for SuperAntiSpyware? It should have only one entry of C:\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware\Superantispyware.exe. It should also have an entry of C:\Program Files\Superantispyware\SSUPDate.exe

Thank you for your interest and detailed response

Vista SP2 32bit

Norton Internet Security 09 ver 16.7.2.11

SAS free

I thought the string .exe looked funny

I'll follow your instructions and post back

Regards

bjm_

Also, if your subscription to NIS 2009 is current, you are eligible for the free upgrade to NIS 2010 which was released last week. The link below will lead you to the update. Just click on "Update me now"

http://updatecenter.norton.com/

Norton Community forum:

http://community.norton.com/norton/

One thing to keep in mind concerning NIS Program Control. If you uninstall a program from your computer, it does NOT delete the program entry from the NIS Program Control. Uninstalled programs have to be manually removed from NIS Program Control. If you install a program update, Program Control should automatically recognize the update and retain the program's info. That is, unless the program update changed the folder name or the primary program name or location when it installed the update. If that is the case, you will end up with an old entry in Program Control and a new entry. Again, you have to manually delete the old entry.

Hello,

I'm curious why SAS populates 3 .exe entries in my Firewall Program Control.

Only app I have ever seen to generate more than 1 entry in my Firewall Program Control SAS.jpg

What is each .exe for

Regards

bjm_

SAS is not populating anything - your firewall is auto-recognizing our MD5 (hash) and adding a rule because you have trusted the SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE file before. You are using RUNSAS to run the product, which should only be done in infection situation where the normal SAS won't run - if you use the normal shortcut to run the product, you won't see those entries.

Are you able to advise re SAS BootSafe and Repair component. Are they supported with Vista?

To the best of my knowledge they are compatible with Vista 32-bit. The Repair components do not yet work with Vista 64-bit, primarily because the drivers have not yet been converted to 64-bit.

Hi siliconman1

re BootSafe

BootSafe > Supports Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP > http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html

So, only logical for me to question other modules of SAS as BootSafe is not supported in Vista. What other features of SAS may not be supported with Vista. Have no idea what will result if BootSafe run on Vista. Maybe nothing?

Does SAS post info anywhere what is and not Vista supported.

Regards

bjm_

Hi siliconman1

re BootSafe

BootSafe > Supports Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP > http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html

So, only logical for me to question other modules of SAS as BootSafe is not supported in Vista. What other features of SAS may not be supported with Vista. Have no idea what will result if BootSafe run on Vista. Maybe nothing?

Does SAS post info anywhere what is and not Vista supported.

Regards

bjm_

Only BootSafe is not for Vista.

Hi siliconman1

re

Only BootSafe is not for Vista.

So, Repairs module is supported with Vista...Thanks, that is good news. Don't have to worry if I need to make Repairs.

Wonder what would happen if I had tried to use BootSafe with Vista. Would it just not work or cause problems.

May I delete the BootSafe files or would that corrupt program.

I guess BootSafe has no intention to ever upgrade product for Vista or Win7.

Thanks again to all help and info

Regards

bjm_

Whereas Nick states that BootSafe is not Vista compatible, I would not even try to run it on Vista. You may render your system unbootable or unable to boot out of Safe Mode. JMO. :wink:

You should be able to safely remove the BootSafe.exe file.

Hello siliconman1,

hereas Nick states that BootSafe is not Vista compatible, I would not even try to run it on Vista. You may render your system unbootable or unable to boot out of Safe Mode. JMO. :wink:

Wow! I presume Nick is SAS Forum Admin / Author / SAS rep...?

I've been trying to get a strait answer to the BootSafe Vista supported issue directly via email to SAS.

Appears like SAS wants to keep secrets...only offered vague quicky reply to my emails and did not fully address the issue.

I will visit Forum for Help in future and that maybe what SAS wants. Who know?

Odd, why does SAS not annotate this most critical conflict between SAS and Vista.

I may render my system unbootable or unable to boot out of Safe Mode and SAS does not post any warning.

What can be their motivation for withholding vital info.

Feeling less than positive about SAS because of all this...

I sincerely appreciate your candor. I wonder how many Vista users have crashed and burned using BootSafe?

I'm still have doubts and concerns about Repairs module. As SAS offers no warning for BootSafe. How can I be assured that Repairs options will not crash my system.

I wish SAS would devote less energy in selling me a subscription and devote some of that effort to educate me about the limitations of SAS.

Thank you again for your continued interest....

I will delete BootSafe .exe file

Please ... anyone post back to reassure me that Repairs module is supported with Vista..,

Regards

bjm_

Hello siliconman1,
hereas Nick states that BootSafe is not Vista compatible, I would not even try to run it on Vista. You may render your system unbootable or unable to boot out of Safe Mode. JMO. :wink:

Wow! I presume Nick is SAS Forum Admin / Author / SAS rep...?

I've been trying to get a strait answer to the BootSafe Vista supported issue directly via email to SAS.

Appears like SAS wants to keep secrets...only offered vague quicky reply to my emails and did not fully address the issue.

I will visit Forum for Help in future and that maybe what SAS wants. Who know?

Odd, why does SAS not annotate this most critical conflict between SAS and Vista.

I may render my system unbootable or unable to boot out of Safe Mode and SAS does not post any warning.

What can be their motivation for withholding vital info.

Feeling less than positive about SAS because of all this...

I sincerely appreciate your candor. I wonder how many Vista users have crashed and burned using BootSafe?

I'm still have doubts and concerns about Repairs module. As SAS offers no warning for BootSafe. How can I be assured that Repairs options will not crash my system.

I wish SAS would devote less energy in selling me a subscription and devote some of that effort to educate me about the limitations of SAS.

Thank you again for your continued interest....

I will delete BootSafe .exe file

Please ... anyone post back to reassure me that Repairs module is supported with Vista..,

Regards

bjm_

No one is keeping any secrets or withholding any information. Bootsafe doesn't do ANYTHING on Vista - so there is no "conflict" - Vista has no boot.ini file, so nothing can be done, good or bad by the current BootSafe and Vista - so be careful before you put forth incorrect information. Hope this clears it up for you!

Hello SUPERAntispy

are you Site Admin / Site Moderator / SAS rep / ?

So, now I have another answer to the same question...

As I did not put forth any incorrect information...you may address your comment to the poster that did...I have to accept all info offered in good faith and the best available info at the time...just as I accept your info in good faith and the best available info at the time...

I was only relying on the last offered comment....which sounded like a concerned Forum member trying to help another Forum member...

Why would that upset you SUPERAntispy?

If info was incorrect...I'm sure no malice was intended.

Info was just incorrect.

Interesting why this seemingly simple issue would be so misunderstood. Why would another poster offer my system would be down if I use BootSafe.

I have tried via email to SAS and via this Forum to resolve an unknown for me.

As BootSafe is non-functional with Vista...how would I know that. Is there a note with the UI to explain not functional with Vista. NO. I would try to use it an when nothing happened (as you have now explained) I would be concerned my system was broken. How would I know BootSafe was not supported with Vista. The system requirements for SAS include Vista with no info re BootSafe.

May I delete BootSafe files ?

Have not been reassured that Repairs components are Vista supported ?

As to your hope that this clears it up for me....Not yet

I'm curious why you feel the need to warn me about anything...

A constructive clarification is better received than a warning to be careful...

So, you be careful

Regards

bjm_

Hello SUPERAntispy

are you Site Admin / Site Moderator / SAS rep / ?

So, now I have another answer to the same question...

As I did not put forth any incorrect information...you may address your comment to the poster that did...I have to accept all info offered in good faith and the best available info at the time...just as I accept your info in good faith and the best available info at the time...

I was only relying on the last offered comment....which sounded like a concerned Forum member trying to help another Forum member...

Why would that upset you SUPERAntispy?

If info was incorrect...I'm sure no malice was intended.

Info was just incorrect.

Interesting why this seemingly simple issue would be so misunderstood. Why would another poster offer my system would be down if I use BootSafe.

I have tried via email to SAS and via this Forum to resolve an unknown for me.

As BootSafe is non-functional with Vista...how would I know that. Is there a note with the UI to explain not functional with Vista. NO. I would try to use it an when nothing happened (as you have now explained) I would be concerned my system was broken. How would I know BootSafe was not supported with Vista. The system requirements for SAS include Vista with no info re BootSafe.

May I delete BootSafe files ?

Have not been reassured that Repairs components are Vista supported ?

As to your hope that this clears it up for me....Not yet

I'm curious why you feel the need to warn me about anything...

A constructive clarification is better received than a warning to be careful...

So, you be careful

Regards

bjm_

The repairs work for Vista.

Hello SUPERAntiSpy

Only just noticed your creds ~ Site Admin...

As this is your house... and I am a guest.

I will in future conduct myself in a respectful manner and with proper Forum Etiquette as I am a guest in your house.

May I delete BootSafe files and not corrupt SAS application.

Respectfully submitted

bjm_

You are free to remove BootSafe, it is simply installed as a helpful tool (for XP/2K). SAS does not rely on it being there.

As for your original question with the firewall entries - you must have been using the RUNSAS tool (Listed as Alternate Start on the Start Menu shortcuts). This tool copies the SUPERAntiSpyware.exe to a unique filename to get around some malware that blocks SUPERAntiSpyware.exe by name.

SAS_ Dave

Hi

Thank you for the update...yes, I was using alternate start...unaware of the consequences and it's purpose.. Thanks...

as you have read my thread ...an earlier post offered using BootSafe will crash my Vista OS...so, I thought I should uninstall just in case I forget and use it...

SUPERAntiSpy clarified w Vista nothing would happen using BootSafe.

I imagine if BootSafe was able to be compatible with Vista...the author would have coded it by now?

Regards

bjm_

In Vista, the old "boot.ini" settings are stored in a way that are not easily changed or reverted. Updating the tool for Vista would require programming and testing resources that are better spent on SAS itself. I would expect future versions of SAS to exclude installing BootSafe on a Vista/Windows 7 OS, to avoid the confusion. That being said, the MSCONFIG tool included with Windows has a very similar functionality within the Boot tab if you want to force Safe Mode without the annoying "F8" game.