Sign in to follow this  
Remnis

BSOD after uninstalling Superantispyware

Hello all! I am an IT tech doing free-lance work. Recently, after ridding a PC of viruses (nothing I removed was especially dangerous, just a bunch of MyWebSearch entries) I was cleaning up shop (i.e. uninstalling the various utilities and programs i had used). While uninstalling Superantispyware (an excellent program that I've used successfully hundreds of times) I received an error saying the uninstall had terminated unexpectedly. Subsequently, damage to the OS was rampant. I am now getting a BSOD at startup, and cannot boot the computer in Safe mode.

I must admit that i am completely mystified. The computer seemed entirely clean before this all happened, and I haven't found any record of this sort of problem on the internet...

Hello all! I am an IT tech doing free-lance work. Recently, after ridding a PC of viruses (nothing I removed was especially dangerous, just a bunch of MyWebSearch entries) I was cleaning up shop (i.e. uninstalling the various utilities and programs i had used). While uninstalling Superantispyware (an excellent program that I've used successfully hundreds of times) I received an error saying the uninstall had terminated unexpectedly. Subsequently, damage to the OS was rampant. I am now getting a BSOD at startup, and cannot boot the computer in Safe mode.

I must admit that i am completely mystified. The computer seemed entirely clean before this all happened, and I haven't found any record of this sort of problem on the internet...

Well let's start off asking the basic questions I need system specs to be able to help solve this problem. Let me know the system and I will try to help!!

Hi LaForge,

This is a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP Home edition, fully up to date with Windows Update. The machine was completely cleaned of viruses (using superantispyware and a few other programs) and entirely stable up to the uninstall debacle. Significant damage was done to the registry in one fell swoop. I've managed to replace the registry with the windows repair version created at the original install, and am laboring to restore the undamaged registry (from earlier today).

Remnis

Hi LaForge,

This is a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP Home edition, fully up to date with Windows Update. The machine was completely cleaned of viruses (using superantispyware and a few other programs) and entirely stable up to the uninstall debacle. Significant damage was done to the registry in one fell swoop. I've managed to replace the registry with the windows repair version created at the original install, and am laboring to restore the undamaged registry (from earlier today).

Remnis

I know most of the dells have a windows repair partition, if I am not mistaken you have to press f11 or f12 at boot up to get to that screen. You may have to call tech support to find out the right button but it will allow you fix windows without loosing your important files. You might have to do a complete restore because of the damage.

You should find that if it is a recent vista OS on the Dell machine, that F8 is the key you need to press. Same one for safe mode, only you get a 'Repair Your Computer' option at the top of the screen, follow the bits and bobs from there. Also, Dells come with discs also so if all is caput, you can use those too.

As for the blue screens, it's not uncommon for Windows to take a swan dive after infected dll files are removed from the system especially if malware or spyware infected legit dll's. Just use a vista disc, boot to the Vista PE and use the " chkdsk c: /f " command to correct slight issues. Sometimes this helps, sometimes it doesn't! Reboot after that into safe mode and stop non-microsoft services one by one if your system still refuses to be 'normal'. After that, you're stuck with a reinstallation of the OS...

Hope this helps!

Insomnai