Sign in to follow this  
sugref

Scan Taking 16hrs (Vista 32)

Hi, I am new to SAS just downloaded and am running for the first time on a Vista laptop. The file items scanned is 1,300,000 and counting. It has been running for 16hrs plus. Is this normal?

It is scanning tons of files in the DriverStore\FileRepository folder.

thx

That is not normal. Let me know how long the scan took total, or if it even finished and we can work with you to fix the problem

Thanks

Customer Support Team

the scan is at 23:08 hrs and the file items scanned is 1.9 million. Still going.....

Should I abort and let it continue. It has not found any threats at this point. I have not been using the laptop, just letting it complete its scan.

BTW, I did run AVG Free 8.5, CCleaner multiple times and Malwarebytes prior to running SAS Free. Malwarebytes found a Rogue.Personal AntiVirus threat which I remov

I almost had a similar experience but I canceled the scan after I found it was repeating a scan of about 10 files, over and over. The file count was very high and unusual and the scan was taking a longer time than normal, so I watched it closely and found the repetition taking place. I mentioned it to SAS but got no response. I uninstalled SAS immediately.

You should rule out that this problem is not being caused by something other than SAS...such as disk problem or a cluttered disk. Here are some things to investigate. BE SURE that you are signed on with a User Account that has full Administrative Privileges to do the following.

1. If you upgraded from Vista SP1 to Vista SP2, clean up after the upgrade. This will remove thousands of unneeded files from your system.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/26/service-pack-cleanup-tool-in-vista-sp2-to-clean-up-old-rtm-sp1-backup-files/

2. Be sure that you are running the latest version of CCleaner which is V2.23.999. Older versions may be missing some temp locations during cleaning.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx (SLIM build without the toolbars)

3. Check the integrity of your disk by running CHKDSK. The link below shows how to do this on Vista. Note that this takes quite a bit of time to run to completion based on the size of your hard drive. If your hard drive has multiple partitions, you need to run it on each partition (C, D, E, etc.)

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

4. You can remove hundreds/thousands of files that are located in Download folder under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. These are files that are downloaded during a Windows Update and subsequent hotfix installations. They are not needed once the hotfix(s) are installed.

- Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and open the Download folder.

- Delete all the files that are in the Download folder. DO NOT delete the Download folder itself.

- Empty your Recycle Bin or run CCleaner to empty it for you.

5. Defrag your harddrive...all partitions.

- Click Microsoft perle and type in defrag in the Search box. Click on Disk Defragmenter at the top.

- Once the Defragmenter opens, click on Defragment now

6. If you have Hibernate turned on...which most laptops do...set SAS to exclude scanning the Hiberfil partition.

- Open SAS to the main window.

- Click on Preferences

- Select the Scanning Control tab

- Click on Manager Excluded Folders

- Click on Add

- Navigate to and select C:\Hiberfil.sys

- After C:\Hiberfil.sys is added to the Exclude list, click on Close and Close to close the SAS windows.

NOTE: If you do NOT use Hibernation, turn it off via the link below. This will release a few gigabytes on your hard drive.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/8702-permanently-disable-hiberfil-sys-how.html

After all of the above are completed, determine how much of your hard drive is actually used.

- Click on Computer

- Right click on the C:\ partition and select Properties.

- The General tab will show how much disk space is Used and how much is Free

- Repeat for other partitions.

- If your hard drives are heavily used, then it becomes a matter of what is occupying the partitions...such as a thousands of pictures, videos, music files, etc.

You should rule out that this problem is not being caused by something other than SAS...such as disk problem or a cluttered disk. Here are some things to investigate. BE SURE that you are signed on with a User Account that has full Administrative Privileges to do the following.

1. If you upgraded from Vista SP1 to Vista SP2, clean up after the upgrade. This will remove thousands of unneeded files from your system.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/26/service-pack-cleanup-tool-in-vista-sp2-to-clean-up-old-rtm-sp1-backup-files/

2. Be sure that you are running the latest version of CCleaner which is V2.23.999. Older versions may be missing some temp locations during cleaning.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx (SLIM build without the toolbars)

3. Check the integrity of your disk by running CHKDSK. The link below shows how to do this on Vista. Note that this takes quite a bit of time to run to completion based on the size of your hard drive. If your hard drive has multiple partitions, you need to run it on each partition (C, D, E, etc.)

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

4. You can remove hundreds/thousands of files that are located in Download folder under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. These are files that are downloaded during a Windows Update and subsequent hotfix installations. They are not needed once the hotfix(s) are installed.

- Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and open the Download folder.

- Delete all the files that are in the Download folder. DO NOT delete the Download folder itself.

- Empty your Recycle Bin or run CCleaner to empty it for you.

5. Defrag your harddrive...all partitions.

- Click Microsoft perle and type in defrag in the Search box. Click on Disk Defragmenter at the top.

- Once the Defragmenter opens, click on Defragment now

6. If you have Hibernate turned on...which most laptops do...set SAS to exclude scanning the Hiberfil partition.

- Open SAS to the main window.

- Click on Preferences

- Select the Scanning Control tab

- Click on Manager Excluded Folders

- Click on Add

- Navigate to and select C:\Hiberfil.sys

- After C:\Hiberfil.sys is added to the Exclude list, click on Close and Close to close the SAS windows.

NOTE: If you do NOT use Hibernation, turn it off via the link below. This will release a few gigabytes on your hard drive.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/8702-permanently-disable-hiberfil-sys-how.html

After all of the above are completed, determine how much of your hard drive is actually used.

- Click on Computer

- Right click on the C:\ partition and select Properties.

- The General tab will show how much disk space is Used and how much is Free

- Repeat for other partitions.

- If your hard drives are heavily used, then it becomes a matter of what is occupying the partitions...such as a thousands of pictures, videos, music files, etc.

This particular post is extremely helpful and should pretty much be followed in ANY case, not just for SAS use :-)

Nice!

insomnai

Well I am having the same problem with Vista 64 on a laptop that is only 2 months old.I run a checkdisk and a defrag weekly to biweekly and run ccleaner several times a week. For the heck of it I followed the instructions above and all that did was clear up some disk space. SAS is still scanning the same files over and over again and the counter is tallying up. I purchased the professional version and a LIFETIME subscription and was almost going to reccomend this program to my friends and family but if this is not solved I will uninstall and expect a full refund.

Well it seems as if a simple uninstall and reinstall solved the problem. I apologize if I sounded like a jerk