Sign in to follow this  
Nikilet

Trojan found by SUPERAntispyware

I recommended SUPERAntispyware to a friend of mine who runs Windows XP. She was having a problem in files multiplying themselves witin her trash can and then not being able to empty it. I told her to scan with her SUPERAntispyware. She did and it found TROJAN.AGENT/GEN. Afterwards she was able to empty her trash can, with the exception of one file which she said was a dll file. She says the file doesn not show up in her trash can even tho it says it's in there.

I know she would never have placed a dll file in her trash can so I'm guessing that this trojan might have been in that dll file. In researching this for my friend I came across another instance of someone having this trojan and it was located in a System32/dll file. However, I use SUPER also and I've never seen it actually remove files. It only quarantines them, doesn't it? If that is the case, if she were to remove those quarantined files then she might also remove this dll file and her computer would likely crash. So, does SUPER either clean or remove files or only quarantine them ... and is there any way to clean this dll file?

Thank you.

If the file is infected, Windows should detect it as "corrupted". Assuming your friend has her original Windows installation CD or recovery CD(s) if her computer came with no Windows CD and she created the recovery CD(s), she can click Start, Run and type "sfc /scannow". "sfc" stands for "system file checker". Windows will check for both missing and corrupted Windows files, and replace them from the CD. If it needs to replace a file, it will ask her to put the CD in her optical drive.