camarosource

Computer REBOOTS the MOMENT you try to quarentine results

I booted the computer into SAFEMODE and then did a search on my computer, left it on for 5 hours and discovered 197 spyware hidden amongst the files, registry and memory.. (I have a serious problem with POP UP windows!)

It displays the 197 results and asks me to quarantine, I chose to do so and it IMMEDIATELY REBOOTS THE COMPUTER!!! I then did another search again in safemode and the moment you try to do anything with the result files, it REBOOTS... HELP!!

UPDATE: I just had my GF try her computer. She ran it in safe mode AND regular login. She has a VERY small size computer (Took only 20 mins to scan her entire computer as appose 5 HOURS for mine). She has 254 results as apposed to the 197 on mine.

Well hers ALSO just rebooted all by itself when it tried to quarantine the results...

UPDATE: I just had my GF try her computer. She ran it in safe mode AND regular login. She has a VERY small size computer (Took only 20 mins to scan her entire computer as appose 5 HOURS for mine). She has 254 results as apposed to the 197 on mine.

Well hers ALSO just rebooted all by itself when it tried to quarantine the results...

What Antivirus Software are you using and what are the results? Have you tried Hijackthis great little software to see what programs are actually running. Have you tried other Antivirus software like AVG? Let me know what you used to scan and we might have some ideas

If you're having trouble with a possibly conflicting antivirus, try using the msconfig command, going into services and only stopping the services belonging to your antivirus. Try running the program again from there.

Also, AVG is NOT a recommended antivirus. I've benched all of them on a crippled drive (cloned and rescanned using different engines) and sadly, AVG got one of the poorest results of all of them. If you're looking for a good free antivirus, try taking a peek at AVIRA which had one of the best results i've seen for a freebie.

I have also found that prematurely interrupting SAS from completing a full scan, and quarantining bit by bit can help on particularly sticky systems. Not all malware/spyware infections have a reinstall-me-on-startup command on a system reboot.

All the best

insomnai

If you're looking for a good free antivirus, try taking a peek at AVIRA which had one of the best results i've seen for a freebie.

This is what i read in almost every security forum and every independent test :wink: