nkam

Windows 98 Install/Run Program Problems

:D I was so happy to see that SuperAntiSpyware still supports Windows 98, as we still have one old computer which has it as the OS.

So, I downloaded the free ware edition of the program, but when I went to install it, it told me that it couldn't register "SASWINDO.dll" and gave me the options to "Abort", "Retry" or "Ignore". Retrying didn't do anything, so I tried to manually register the dll in the Windows "Run" box, but got an error, probably because it needed to be extracted from the install program. So, not being sure how important the file was, I chose "Ignore" and let it go ahead & install the program, which it did.

Then, I tried to start SuperAntiSpyware, but I got two error messages that say, "The C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUPERANTISPYWARE\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version." and another window that says, "C:\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe. A device attached to the system is not functioning." I assume they probably have something to do with the failed dll installation, but am not sure.

:( So what gives? Do I need to download an older version of the program in order for it to work on Windows 98? If so, it would be nice if you put that somewhere in your FAQ or on the download page or something.

Please advise as to what I need to do to get the program installed on this computer. I think it has some type of malware infection and I'm sure there is some spyware/adware on it, so I really need a program that can find and fix the problems. I guess I probably need to uninstall the failed install version first, but will wait for a reply before I do anything further.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The version most suited to Windows 98SE is 4.24.1004, get it from filehippo.

There are later versions which will run on 98 but very poorly and the latest version does not even install as you have found out.

It really is about time that SUPERAntispyware updated the information on the website, it has never changed in years!

Thanks for your suggestion, lightning slinger. This machine is running the first, but fully updated as far as it could be, version of Windows 98 (I can't remember whether it was called SP2 or what and I'm at a different machine at the moment), not Windows 98 SE.

Do you know if the version of SAS that you are recommending will also work with non SE Win 98 OS?

Now I cannot tell you if any version definitely runs on 98FE but if 4.24.1004 doesn't I cannot see ANY version doing that.

If you get it going don't forget to go into Preferences, Update tab and uncheck all otherwise you will download program updates which you don't want.

Sadly with 98 we don't have much choice in malware scanners just SAS which is very good at it's job or Spybot S&D which isn't.

Thanks Lightning Slinger, it used to work fine. Maybe I will try that version but I have found another program that is very light. Indeed, the last version doesn`t work unfortunatly.

Hi Damif,

Version 4.24.1004 seems to be inflicted like all the later version with excessive CPU usage on opening the program, it used to only take 5 seconds to open on both my 98SE boxes but recently when other posters raised the same problem with the other versions, I timed this version again and it now takes around 30 seconds to open the program, so I am assuming the problem lies with the size of the definitions loading.

If the latest version does open quicker then it seems we are stuck with what we have already, still at least it does still work but with a slower CPU and less RAM I think many will be struggling.

Just curious to know, LS, why, with a setup like yours, you don't upgrade to XP?

I'm another 98SE holdout, so I'm not criticising you!

It's a shame that SAS doesn't make the effort to develop their product on 98SE boxes any longer; only 1/3rd of 1% of people use 98 now, but if all of those people used SAS as their spyware checker (since there's no other choice other than Spybot which is now sh'ite!!) then that would constitute a large number of potential users.

Since there's a huge hole in the Port 139/445 that's critical and showing it's private parts to the whole web at the moment, it looks like us 98SE holdouts are the most secure users on the net!

Bump to the top.

Since SAS are now letting down their 98 users, their shortsightedness should be noted.

SAS isn't the best product out there. Mlawarebytes craps all over this solution. So why not support the people using 98, since for XP and Vista, this product is 3rd rate?

Bump to the top.

Since SAS are now letting down their 98 users, their shortsightedness should be noted.

SAS isn't the best product out there. Mlawarebytes craps all over this solution. So why not support the people using 98, since for XP and Vista, this product is 3rd rate?

Please ,Jaheira,Malwarebytes does what?

The only thing Malwarebytes beats SUPERAntiSpyware in is the number of false positives in critical system files,

and the surliness of their forum.(there you would be either ignored or banned for such a remark)

In any event it does not even offer token support of legacy operating systems.

Those of us who are die hard XP fans will soon enough be in the position of 98 users now.

I hope we remain a little more gracious.

The Windows 98 platform would not benefit from the majority of application changes in 4.29. 4.24 is as good in Win98 as 4.29 would be with detection and removal. We have much greater control over the scanning process on NT-based operating systems. I would highly recommend upgrading to Windows 2000 if you can find a copy to buy; it usually doesn't require greater system specs than a 98 PC and should be cheap. Win2K fully supports our latest release, and was a great OS for computers of that time period.

Hello,

I am running Win98SE and am able to use Superantispyware version 4.26.0.1002 without any problems at all ( other than being a little slow when started up and exited from). Checking for updates can take some time too.

Hope this helps.