siliconman01

NIS 2010/SAS PRO V4.28.1010 Conflict on Vista

This is an ALERT post for users of Norton Internet Security 2010 and SAS PRO. It applies to Vista and Windows 7 systems. UAC is active on my systems.

There appears to be a major conflict between NIS 2010 and SAS PRO realtime protection. On system startup, SAS PRO hangs indefinitely. The bug icon appears in the Notification Tray, but SAS PRO is locked up. No SAS windows can be opened. No right click menu can be obtained via the bug. SAS PRO cannot be terminated via the Task Manager.

Windows Explorer is partially crippled as well. The only solution I have found thus far is to turn off SAS PRO realtime protection or to remove NIS 2010 and revert back to NIS 2009 or earlier.

I have submitted a CSR to the SAS gurus.

You were aware of the recent Norton issues correct? Norton had a major problem with the latest release as you can find here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10317686-245.html

Norton has pulled the release from the market. They are requesting users downgrade Norton to the previous version and they will have a new update in the upcoming weeks.

I have isolated where the conflict between NIS 2010 and SAS Pro realtime protection is occurring on system restart.

In NIS 2010 under Settings>Miscellaneous, if "Tamper Protection" is turned ON, then SAS Pro hangs on system startup. If Tamper Protection is turned OFF, SAS Pro (with realtime protection active) starts up perfectly on system startup and the computer system runs normally. This is 100% repeatable on my Vista SP2 Business 32-bit system with UAC active.

You were aware of the recent Norton issues correct? Norton had a major problem with the latest release as you can find here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10317686-245.html

Norton has pulled the release from the market. They are requesting users downgrade Norton to the previous version and they will have a new update in the upcoming weeks.

Yes, I am aware of that patch problem. HOWEVER, it applies to NIS 2009, not the totally new NIS 2010 released on 08-Sep-09.