PhilHP

Do I need an Antivirus as well ??

Hi,

I have just purchased / installed 'SAS-Pro' as it was highly recommended to me by a good friend and I have to say I like what I see so-far........It's great, Thanks !!

My friend also said that I do not need to run any other security product such-as, AVG, Ad-Aware, StopZilla etc. as he said that 'SAS Pro' does it ALL !!

Although, once I had removed all other programs and installed SAS Pro, I had a pop-up telling me that I had no Antivirus running (I know Windows doesn't detect ALL Antiviruses)........But I thought SAS Pro done it ALL, is it an Antivirus as well but it's simply not being detected !!?? :?

Soo, my main question is this.....

Do I need to have an Antivirus program running as well as SAS Pro or is my friend correct saying that SAS Pro does it ALL and will cover me the same as an Antivirus and all the others ?? :?

Basically, does SAS Pro do everything that an Antivirus does or is it simply as it's name suggests........An AntiSpyware program ONLY ??

!! Many Thanks in Advance for Any Help !!

Phil.

SAS is not an antivirus. It is meant to run alongside your AV. Here are a few recommendations if you need them for a good AV.

Free AV: Avira or Avast

Paid AV: NOD32 or Kasperskey

I personally use the free version of Avira along with SAS pro and it works great. I would strongly recommend getting an AV installed immediately.

yes- superantipsyware is not an antivirus program- so you do need an antivirus program

I personally like AVG free over Avira

I have found that Avira has too many FPs recently

and i do not like the nag screen to purchase it

and yes you can disable the nag screen but you have to each time it does a version or program update

robin

Thanks for the help guys & for clearing this up for me !!

I used to run 'AVG' but found it slowed down my PC too much which is what prompted me to venture out and experiment to get a completely new set of security programs !!

I'm now running 'SAS Pro', 'Avira Antivir Personal' along with 2 great system cleaners 'CCleaner' and 'Advanced System Care' and my system has never run so smooth, although I had a message pop-up from 'Avira' telling me that it had detected a file that could not be moved into quarantine as it's either blocked or I do not have administrative rights (or something like this) which I have never encountered before now......

I only had 2 options to choose from then, 1st was to delete blocked file upon boot-up, 2nd was to ignor file !! :?

Can someone explain this and what I should do when/if this happens again please ??

How do I check/change if I have administrative rights (as it said for me to do) ??

!! Thanks in Advance for ANY Help !!

Phil.

I used to run AVG as well and your right, it is too much of a drag on the system. Avira has proven to have a much better detection rate, as well as be lighter on resources. It does happen to have the occasional false positive, but I have yet to get one and have been running Avira for about 6 months. I also don't mind the nag screen in order to get great FREE protection :mrgreen:

There is no way to give advice without knowing what the file is.

Hi prairie dog,

I checked my events/reports section and found the names of the files that were blocked and asking me about administrative rights (didn't realise there was 2) here are the file names.......

APPL/KillApp.A

W32/Induc.A

Here is the report on them......

C:\hp\bin\KillIt.exe

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the APPL/KillApp.A application

C:\hp\bin\KillWind.exe

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the APPL/KillApplicat.A application

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{64D353BC-F70D-499F-9163-3CEC028719CD}\RP251\A0056064.exe

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the W32/Induc.A Windows virus

Begin scan in 'D:\'

Beginning disinfection:

C:\hp\bin\KillIt.exe

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the APPL/KillApp.A application

[WARNING] An error has occurred and the file was not deleted. ErrorID: 26004

[WARNING] The source file could not be found.

[NOTE] Attempting to perform action using the ARK library.

[WARNING] Error in ARK library

[NOTE] The file is scheduled for deleting after reboot.

C:\hp\bin\KillWind.exe

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the APPL/KillApplicat.A application

[WARNING] An error has occurred and the file was not deleted. ErrorID: 26004

[WARNING] The source file could not be found.

[NOTE] Attempting to perform action using the ARK library.

[WARNING] Error in ARK library

[NOTE] The file is scheduled for deleting after reboot.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{64D353BC-F70D-499F-9163-3CEC028719CD}\RP251\A0056064.exe

[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the W32/Induc.A Windows virus

[NOTE] The file was moved to '4ac6ea02.qua'!

I hope this helps, once again MANY Thanks in Advance for ANY help !!

Phil.

P.S ~ Here's a stupid question for you.........What exactly is + do you mean by a Faulse Positive ??

Sorry but I'm sort-of computer illiterate hehe, Thanks again !! :wink:

I would submit both files here http://www.avira.com/en/support/submit_ ... files.html and Avira will verify if they are false positives.

a false positive is something that is flagged as malware, but actually is harmless. Any security software is prone to false positives

You could also post in their forum for further questions http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Index

ok will do and Thanks for ALL your help prairie dog.......I knew 'Faulse Positive' would mean something simple hehe !!

!! Thanks Again mate !!

Phil.