Cindyl10

help to get rid of Windows Anitvirus pro

Hi, I'm new and just found out about this product. I'm desperately trying to find something that will get rid of the rogue windows antivirus pro trojan that is on my husbands computer. I'm hoping this SuperAnitSpyware free program will do so, but wanted to ask if anyone knows for sure if it will before I download it on his computer.

The reason I need to ask first is that his computer is so badly infected that I won't have much time to work when I turn it on, so I need to be sure that whatever I decide to do is going to work before I actually turn his computer on again and attempt to clean it. It's so badly infected that even safe mode isn't working properly and it's very hard to get it to go online and download something.

I installed McAfee on his computer just a week prior to him getting this trojan. Prior to that he had been using his computer with no protection for over 6 months unbeknown to me. I assumed that McAfee would catch anything he'd gotten when I started it, but it obviously didn't. When he found this "new program" suddenly on his computer and showed me, I knew it was a rogue. I did download another free removal tool and it found that trojan along with 107 others on his computer that McAfee had missed! I was shocked to say the least! Then much to my dismay I discovered that this "free removal tool" only found the stuff for free, but you had to pay to have it removed! Since I had just paid to put McAfee on his computer and he's been laid off, I don't have the money to pay for anything. I've contacted McAfee but they won't do anything to help me.

So...I'm hoping someone here can. I'm not an expert enough to be able to remove it manually, or I would. I think that if I can get rid of this one rogue program that I'll then be able to get rid of the rest fairly easily.

So please, can someone tell me if the free version of this SuperAntiSpyware program will remove the "Windows AntiVirus Pro" bug?

Thank you so much for you help!

The article at the link below would be a good start for disinfecting that critter. Then run the SAS free version.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-antivirus-pro

Sounds to me like your husband's machine needs a strong AV such as Avira Premium Security Suite, Avast, or Norton Internet Security 2009 instead of McAfee. SAS PRO would be a great secondary security protection to one of these.

Thank you for the link. I just quickly read over it and I have to admit it sounds awfully complicated to me, but if it's the only way to get rid of it, that's what I'll try to do. I take it then that the SAS doesn't work to get rid of this problem for me?

I will read that page more carefully tomorrow and attempt to print it out too. Then, if there are no further replies here, I'll do my best to fix his computer following those directions. I'll let you all know if I'm successful. Thanks again!

Hi, i've been having this exact problem lately also, and i might be able to help you out. Is this the virus that when you turn your computer on a bunch of command processes start running as you can see them start to stack up on your page in a black box with blue header? This is the one that also nukes .exe so you cant run them and says there is an error every time you try to? well this is what i did, i wen tto C/WINDOWS/system32 and found a file named "desot.exe" this file is poisionous and after i deleted it and restarted the computer i could run my malware removing programs i.e. superantispyware or malware antibytes to clean up the problem

that does sound similar! Thanks, I will check for that file. I plan on working on this today, but probably not until this afternoon... yeah--I'm being lazy lol But I really appreciate all the help and advice!