Sign in to follow this  
Ragamuffin

Help Request: Rootkit.Agent/Gen-Rx

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this, the only other forum which seemed like it might be I don't have access to.

Anyway, I just finished a SAS scan, my last one being about 6 days ago, and it turned up "Rootkit.Agent/Gen-Rx", there are 5 items flagged they are: Program files\Epox\eptp\epcpuid64.sys, Program files\Epox\eptp\getbinfile64.sys, Program files\Epox\eptp\hwmdr.sys, Program files\Epox\eptp\scanmemory64.sys and Windows\system32\driver\hwmdr.sys . I've quarantined them and all, and I'm running a second scan now, I'm just look for some advise, I haven't visited any insecure websites that I know of, nor installed anything in since my SAS scan, I run avast scans daily and they haven't detected anything, should I do anything else? Could this be a false positive?

Someone advised me to send the files to VirusTotal.com to make sure, most of them didn't find anything wrong, but "Sunbelt" flagged the two hwmdr.sys files as Trojan, although nothing else did.

Well, I continue to recommend that you submit all of them to SAS and let the SAS gurus analyze them .... inasmuch as it is SAS flagging them as malicious on your system. I suspect that Epox is using the driver properly...although it can/is also used by the cybercriminals in their crapware to do malicious things...which is often the case.

Well, I continue to recommend that you submit all of them to SAS and let the SAS gurus analyze them .... inasmuch as it is SAS flagging them as malicious on your system.

I will do, I've restored them and am running a scan to see if they get flagged again now.