siliconman01

SAS PRO V4.27.1002 on Win 7 32-bit. Some problems

With the advent of V4.27.1002, SAS PRO now can be installed and run on Win 7 32-bit. However, my experience with it on my test machine with Win 7 RC 7100 does reveal a few problems. I fully understand the Windows 7 is not yet released. I just want to relay these initial findings concerning SAS PRO.

My test machine is an old Dell Dimension 8200 with 2.66 ghz P4, 1.5 gbytes RAM, high speed cable modem and lots of disk space.

The software system is Windows 7 RC 7100 32-bit, Norton Internet Security 2010 Beta 115, TrojanHunter V5.0.962, and basically nothing more. The problems I describe below occur irrespective of NIS and TH...which I temporarily removed to check. The interface is set to aero.

1. IF Win 7 UAC is turned off, SAS PRO realtime hangs up on system startup. It does not lock up the system totally. SAS becomes totally inaccessible and cannot be terminated. This condition never corrects itself. Windows Explorer also becomes disfunctional. This DOES NOT occur if UAC is active.

2. On system startup (UAC active/default setting), SAS PRO realtime hogs the CPU for ~90 seconds...not doing updates...but something else. During that time, SAS is showing up to 103 mbytes RAM being used. It then drops back to ~500 kbytes. NOTE that I have "Check for Updates on program startup" unchecked. And Startup Scanning is set to Do not scan. During this time, the system is very slow to respond to other requests.

3. SAS update takes an exceptionally long time to install new updates...up to 5 minutes. On my primary computer, this update process takes ~ 50 seconds. The update download itself occurs quickly. It is the update installation that seems to be taking so much time.

4. On checking for updates via the Notification Tray icon, the message box stating that no update is necessary randomly fails to appear.

5. When doing a Complete Scan, the memory and registry scan run okay. When it switches to file scanning, it whizzes through files in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. During this time, the file counter remains at 0. Once it moves off the System32 folder, the counter begins to increment.

6. Application Protection does not work on Windows 7 32-bit. SAS can be terminated via numerous methods. If this is not available on Windows 7, it should be dimmed out.

7. Under Preferences>General and Startup tab, "Integrate with Vista Security Center" is checked by Default. This should be dimmed out for non-Vista systems.

8. Under Preferences>Scanning Control, I am not sure that the following options are available (actually work) on Windows 7.

- Use Kernel Direct File Access

- Use Kernel Direct Registry Access

- Use Direct Disk Access

If these are not used on Windows 7, they should be dimmed out on Windows 7 systems.

That's all I experienced thus far. :wink:

1. IF Win 7 UAC is turned off, SAS PRO realtime hangs up on system startup. It does not lock up the system totally. SAS becomes totally inaccessible and cannot be terminated. This condition never corrects itself. Windows Explorer also becomes disfunctional. This DOES NOT occur if UAC is active.

2. On system startup (UAC active/default setting), SAS PRO realtime hogs the CPU for ~90 seconds...not doing updates...but something else. During that time, SAS is showing up to 103 mbytes RAM being used. It then drops back to ~500 kbytes. NOTE that I have "Check for Updates on program startup" unchecked. And Startup Scanning is set to Do not scan. During this time, the system is very slow to respond to other requests.

Fixed in Pre-Release V4.28.0.1006

3. SAS update takes an exceptionally long time to install new updates...up to 5 minutes. On my primary computer, this update process takes ~ 50 seconds. The update download itself occurs quickly. It is the update installation that seems to be taking so much time.

Fixed in Pre-Release V4.28.0.1006

4. On checking for updates via the Notification Tray icon, the message box stating that no update is necessary randomly fails to appear.

Appears to be fixed in Pre-Release V4.28.0.1006

5. When doing a Complete Scan, the memory and registry scan run okay. When it switches to file scanning, it whizzes through files in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. During this time, the file counter remains at 0. Once it moves off the System32 folder, the counter begins to increment.

6. Application Protection does not work on Windows 7 32-bit. SAS can be terminated via numerous methods. If this is not available on Windows 7, it should be dimmed out.

7. Under Preferences>General and Startup tab, "Integrate with Vista Security Center" is checked by Default. This should be dimmed out for non-Vista systems.

8. Under Preferences>Scanning Control, I am not sure that the following options are available (actually work) on Windows 7.

- Use Kernel Direct File Access

- Use Kernel Direct Registry Access

- Use Direct Disk Access

If these are not used on Windows 7, they should be dimmed out on Windows 7 systems.

I think the above problem is being caused by SSUpdate.exe not properly handling UAC. SSUpdate.exe is stuck in memory following a system startup with UAC turned OFF.

This issue is resolved in V4.29.1002. It was not a UAC problem but a NIS 2010/SAS Pro conflict.