BuckSnort

Problems with scan

Have had to stop using Superantispyware Pro for the first time since it came out. I can't figure out what the problem is with the scans. For about the last month, either scan [even safe mode] caused windows to have to repair errors on reboot. This morning, after downloading the new version, if I had not been able to go back to an earlier snapshot, it would have been a real disaster for me. I am a beta test for Online Armor+AV w/FW, but like I said, it even happens in safe mode, Also using ProSecurity, but temporarily uninstalled it and still had problems.

BS

Have had to stop using Superantispyware Pro for the first time since it came out. I can't figure out what the problem is with the scans. For about the last month, either scan [even safe mode] caused windows to have to repair errors on reboot. This morning, after downloading the new version, if I had not been able to go back to an earlier snapshot, it would have been a real disaster for me. I am a beta test for Online Armor+AV w/FW, but like I said, it even happens in safe mode, Also using ProSecurity, but temporarily uninstalled it and still had problems.

BS

Can you provide some exact detail about the error you are receiving? You are't really providing any information about what happened this morning either - what exactly happened? You are also running the beta of Online Armor - have you completely disabled that to ensure it is not the actual culprit?

* What other security products are you running?

* What was detected during the scan? Can you send me the log file?

* Have you disabled and removed Online Armor Beta to ensure it's kernel drivers and startup scanning aren't causing a conflict?

We are here to help, but need more detailed information. Please also keep these posts confined to our forum as we don't need wide spread panic of an issue a single user is having.

Sorry Nick, but I don't believe I mentioned this in any other forum I frequent. Have to go to a Christmas party right now so I will reproduce it later and take better notes.

Sorry Nick, but I don't believe I mentioned this in any other forum I frequent. Have to go to a Christmas party right now so I will reproduce it later and take better notes.

No problem at all - I didn't think you had mentioned it - I just want to make sure these types of reports don't get "out of hand" as they can cause panic where none is needed :)

Enjoy your party! We will find out the cause of this....

Hi Nick,

Was able [through blurry eyes] to run some test this morning before I had to go for an appointment. Will try to recreate what happened. Used version 3.3.1020 because thats what I still had on. First of all, I have the beta version on Online Armor with the anti virus and firewall, the paid version of ProSecurity [usually running in learning mode], SUPERAntispyware, and Rollback RX all running real time.

Uninstalled OA and ran S.A.S fast scan. Rebooted and no problems. Disabled learning mode on ProSecurity [now normal mode] and ran fast scan again. Rebooted and received error message "windows product activation, a problem is prevention windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code 0x80070005". Couldn't get into windows so I went to safe mode and turned learning mode back on. Rebooted and received same error message. Back into safe mode and ununstalled ProSecurity. Windows booted normally. Tried to reinstall ProSecurity twice with no success. Received error message "failed to load driver - error code:2, PS can't communicate with kernel driver". Went back to an earlier snapshot to get ProSecurity running again.

Will keep running SUPPERAntispyware just not use the scan for now. By the way, this wasn't the same error message I had been getting. Will try to recreate that one when I have more time.

BS

Hi Nick,

Was able [through blurry eyes] to run some test this morning before I had to go for an appointment. Will try to recreate what happened. Used version 3.3.1020 because thats what I still had on. First of all, I have the beta version on Online Armor with the anti virus and firewall, the paid version of ProSecurity [usually running in learning mode], SUPERAntispyware, and Rollback RX all running real time.

Uninstalled OA and ran S.A.S fast scan. Rebooted and no problems. Disabled learning mode on ProSecurity [now normal mode] and ran fast scan again. Rebooted and received error message "windows product activation, a problem is prevention windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code 0x80070005". Couldn't get into windows so I went to safe mode and turned learning mode back on. Rebooted and received same error message. Back into safe mode and ununstalled ProSecurity. Windows booted normally. Tried to reinstall ProSecurity twice with no success. Received error message "failed to load driver - error code:2, PS can't communicate with kernel driver". Went back to an earlier snapshot to get ProSecurity running again.

Will keep running SUPPERAntispyware just not use the scan for now. By the way, this wasn't the same error message I had been getting. Will try to recreate that one when I have more time.

BS

Those errors sound like they have to do with the other software and not SUPERAntiSpyware - I don't believe SUPERAntiSpyware is the one causing the problem here - if you do find a problem with SUPERAntiSpyware, we can, and will certainly help figure it out.

SUPERAntiSpyware saves scan logs, so if it were to remove something it shouldn't it will be in the log, and in the Quarantine, so it can always be restored.

Hi Nick,

I agree. The problem seems to be caused by ProSecurity. Probably should go to his forum and see if he can figure it out. Once the beta version of OA starts using the kernel, I may decide not to use PS anymore. Sorry for the bother.

BS

Hi Nick,

I agree. The problem seems to be caused by ProSecurity. Probably should go to his forum and see if he can figure it out. Once the beta version of OA starts using the kernel, I may decide not to use PS anymore. Sorry for the bother.

BS

It's never a bother! I just am always very concerned when a user feels SUPERAntiSpyware has "destroyed" or "ruined" their system :)

It's good to know about the problem - as if there are other users using that product, and have a problem at least we have a data point. I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention!

Obviously a very poor choice of words on my part. Was tired and frustrated at the time and didn't stop and think what the consequences of the remarks might have. Glad you understand.

BS