Sign in to follow this  
alex_ada

Unable to update definitions in 4.27.1002

Hi,

I have been using SAS (Free version) for almost a year now and had been updating the definitions regularly, but hadn't bothered updating to the newer version of the program until yesterday. The actual update to version 4.27.1002 went fine, but since doing this it won't let me check for definition updates! It freezes the program when I try, and I'm not able to terminate SAS after this happens - if I try to close SAS via the 'Close' button or Task Manager, I get the error message "Cannot be terminated as process is locked by the system" (even though my preferences were set to allow Task Manager to terminate SAS). I then have to actually shut down the PC to get rid of it.

I'm still able to run a scan and download the definition updates manually from the website, but is there any known way to get rid of the problem?

I tried re-installing the program from your site - the uninstallation and reinstallation went fine, but did not fix the problem.

The scan has picked up nothing except the usual tracking cookies so I assume it's not malware causing the problem.

It would be great if you could find out what the problem is - or will I be stuck with downloading updates manually from your site? I'm really keen to get it fixed because SAS has proved to be really excellent so far - last September I downloaded it to try to get rid of the WSNpoem virus which nothing else could remove (indeed neither McAfee nor Windows Defender could even detect it) and within one scan, SAS nuked it, and I (thankfully) have had a clean bill of health since then.

Edit: I should point out that I use Windows XP Home Edition

Thanks

I am having the same problem. I have been using SAS (Free Version- 4.21.0.1004) for six months - it has worked perfectly until yesterday - when I was downloading the SAS definitions - the program froze and when I tried to terminate using the close button and/or Task Manager I received the error message "Cannot be terminated as process is locked by the system". I then rebooted my computer and ran an SAS scan then downloaded the definitions - which downloaded fine. So I thought my problem was fixed but today when I went to update the definitions it again was locked by the system - so I rebooted then downloaded the definitions which worked fine. I hope there is a "fix" for this annoyance. The only thing that has happened to my computer in the last day was that I downloaded this months Microsoft Updates. Is it possible there is a program conflict with Microsoft. I had a total of 17 Microsoft updates for this month. I am running XP Home Edition with SP3. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Angus Magee

You should update to the latest version of SAS free which is version 4.29.1004. It can be downloaded from the link below. There have been a lot of changes since the version that you are running...including changes to the updater.

https://www.superantispyware.com/superan ... vspro.html

- Download the special SAS uninstaller and save it on your desktop.

https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASUNINST.EXE

- Close down SAS

- Double click on the special uninstaller icon SASUNINST.EXE on your desktop and let it uninstall the old version. A system reboot is required.

- Install the new version 4.29.1004

- Set up your preferences

- Obtain the latest core/trace definitions

Angus Magee

You should update to the latest version of SAS free which is version 4.29.1004. It can be downloaded from the link below. There have been a lot of changes since the version that you are running...including changes to the updater.

https://www.superantispyware.com/superan ... vspro.html

- Download the special SAS uninstaller and save it on your desktop.

https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASUNINST.EXE

- Close down SAS

- Double click on the special uninstaller icon SASUNINST.EXE on your desktop and let it uninstall the old version. A system reboot is required.

- Install the new version 4.29.1004

- Set up your preferences

- Obtain the latest core/trace definitions

This post has me a bit confused. I've got two questions.

1) I've been told (by SAS staff in response to an email from a year or so ago) we should install the newest versions on top of our existing ones. But the above post suggests we should uninstall and then reinstall. Is that because the OP had a version that was a year old? Or is Angus stating we should always uninstall and reinstall regardless how recent or old the current version is? Would appreciate clarification.

2) My current version is about 2 months old and I have not updated to the newest one yet. I was planning on simply installing over my current version (I'm not at home right now, so I don't have that version number handy). I have noticed over time that it takes longer for the SAS program (I have the free version) to open when I manually open it. (I'm talking about just opening the program, not running a scan.) I've had SAS for about 1 1/2 years now. As best I recall, it would open within a few seconds, but now it takes a minute or two. Is that normal?

1) I've been told (by SAS staff in response to an email from a year or so ago) we should install the newest versions on top of our existing ones. But the above post suggests we should uninstall and then reinstall. Is that because the OP had a version that was a year old? Or is Angus stating we should always uninstall and reinstall regardless how recent or old the current version is? Would appreciate clarification.

The reason I recommended a full uninstall is that the version Angus is using is very old. Plus Angus has started encountering a problem. Thus, a clean install is best in this case. Under normal circumstances, letting SAS update itself via the live updater is the way to go.

2) My current version is about 2 months old and I have not updated to the newest one yet. I was planning on simply installing over my current version (I'm not at home right now, so I don't have that version number handy). I have noticed over time that it takes longer for the SAS program (I have the free version) to open when I manually open it. (I'm talking about just opening the program, not running a scan.) I've had SAS for about 1 1/2 years now. As best I recall, it would open within a few seconds, but now it takes a minute or two. Is that normal?

No, it is not normal. A total uninstall/re-install as described in my previous post above for Angus might be best just to ensure that nothing has become corrupted in SAS itself. On my two Vista systems, SAS snaps open promptly when I double click on the bug in the Notificaton tray or open it via the Start menu.

Siliconman - Sorry I haven't responded sooner - been away for a while. Thank you so much for your assistance - and explaining the necessary steps to uninstall and reinstall SAS - the new program and updates worked perfectly - Thanks again, A.M.

Siliconman - Sorry I haven't responded sooner - been away for a while. Thank you so much for your assistance - and explaining the necessary steps to uninstall and reinstall SAS - the new program and updates worked perfectly - Thanks again, A.M.

You are very welcome. Glad to hear that all is working for you again. It is best to keep your SAS program version up-to-date :wink: