Sign in to follow this  
lordpake

Question regarding Uninstall assistant

Some questions regarding this tool:

How does exactly does it work? Mainly meaning will I be in trouble for example in a situation where SAS has been installed in non-default location, such as for example d:\ohjelmat\sas ?

Also, will the tool do any damage if run after succesfull uninstall via regular means? I have a habit of running removal tools just to be on the safe side, as too many security software tend to leave traces behind.

The Uninstall Assitant was tested under the scenarios you presented and functioned as expected. If the tool is run after SAS is uninstalled, it will recognize this and not attempt to remove any components.

SUPERAntiSpyware Support Team

Thank you for the information.

It seems then my uninstall was incomplete, as the tool did allow itself to be run, rebooted, and needed Windows protection confirmation to run after the reboot?

I have to say I'm hesitant to reinstall after seeing reports here and elsewhere for BSODs and after experiencing those graphical glitches I reported in another thread. I do after all care about the interface to some degree :)

Could you list exactly what happened when you ran the tool please? If there is a problem with it, I'd like to get it fixed :)

Did the tool bring up a dialog saying it wasn't allowing itself to run? Did it just do nothing? Did the reboot happen automatically, or did you manually reboot? What did the windows protection screen say when it asked for confirmation? Are you talking about Data Execution Protection or Windows Firewall?

Thanks

SUPERAntiSpyware Support Team

As far as I recall, it went something like this:

I closed most apps to make sure nothing was interfering (KIS 2009 was still running though), uninstall tool either requested or suggested immediate reboot, which was done. Closing phase took slightly longer according to my estimates. After reboot it did take considerable longer (I have pretty streamlined install here, only few apps loading at windows start) for the desktop to load, I could see the wallpaper but nothing else.

I got Data Protection prompt asking me to approve of the running of the uninstall tool. After I okay'ed that normal desktop soon loaded.

This after I had uninstalled SAS via regular means. I have Xp Home Sp2 Fin, running with full admin rights.

Okay.

The Uninstaller does ask for a reboot and runs when you start back up to clean up anything that may have been left behind to ensure your system is completely clean.

What concerns me is the Data Protection prompt you say you're getting. Do you know if this is from a third party protection application or is this the Microsoft Data Execution Protection prompt. If this is the Data Execution Protection prompt then it's highly likely that you have either a virus or spyware on your machine. If it's from a third party application then it could just be asking you to authorize the running of an application at startup( which is unlikely, but possible ).

Sorry, it's the notification about unknown publisher I'm getting. Both when I run the tool and prior to desktop loading.

It's seems the tool is unsigned, and thus requires twice the confirmation?