Tarq57

BSOD on attempting update

SAS has always run problem free on my system until now. I do not have it configured to start with Windows.

Yesterday I updated and during the update process got a BSOD with the message that Windows had shut down to prevent damage. Odd. Restarted normally, attempted to start SAS, same thing. Odder. Restarted, uninstalled it using Revo uninstaller, downloaded the latest installation file, and then today attempted to install afresh. Lo and behold, same thing. Restarted again. When SAS appeared in the system tray, the computer became extremely slow and unresponsive. Unable to open taskmanager. Was able to open the "preferences" in SAS to have it not start with Windows, and exit the program. That took over 5 minutes.

Have since uninstalled it, again using Revo.

I'm quite loathe to attempt a reinstall or troubleshoot, as it would take an extremely long time, even if possible, with the system near locked up.

Running WindowsXP, SP3, all updated.

Other security programs Avast, Threatfire, PCtools Firewall, Secunia PSI, Comodo Memory Firewall. This configuration has worked well for several months, no problems.

Recent changes: Updated to IE8, uninstalled MS Silverlight* (following a failed MS update for same), all MS updates. Adobe flashplayer 10.0.22.87, updated Ccleaner to latest version.

Ran MBAM to check for malware; nothing found (as expected.)

No recent malware/virus alerts, nor other odd behaviour.

* MS silverlight uninstall was a bit tricky, requiring two attempts which both failed, with error messages to the effect that I didn't have permission to access the files, eventually got rid of it by using the Windows Install cleanup utility. This was following two MS updates to same, which failed to install with no eror code.

I figure I don't need Silverlight so did not bother troubleshooting it. Don't know whether it has anything to do with this issue, but I mention it because it is the only odd behaviour of note.

I have essentially the same problem after updating to 4.27.1000. I had no problems with previous versions.

Running XP3, with Online Armor Pro firewall, ESET NOD32, PC Tools Threatfire.

Have uninstalled with Revo, run jv16 Registry Cleaner also, and clean installed after reboot (tried this several times now to see if it was a transient problem). Get BSOD every time after after a while, during recommended update of definition updates. So does not even install to a usable state.

Have uninstalled completely now.

My name is Don Fowler. I'm an engineer working on SUPERAntispyware. I am trying to reproduce the problem you're experiencing. Please be patient and I'm confident that I'll find a solution for you. In the meantime, I may need to get information from any of you who are experiencing the BSOD. If you are willing to work with me to resolve this, please let me know as I will probably need your help.

Thanks

Don

Not true.

Don and I are corresponding on the issue via pm. I'm optimistic/hopeful a solution might be found.

It would appear (at this early stage in the troubleshoot) that it may not be SAS - at least solely - at fault, here. A file flagged as malware is involved, and one of the suspect SAS files was removed, yet the problem remains, indicating that it may be something else at play.

If Don is able to diagnose this without a minidump (my system doesn't produce 'em) I'll be quite impressed.

Prior to removing Threatfire, was there any information in the logs/quarantine to indicate that TF had blocked any element of SAS?

I can tell you there was certainly no such information in mine.

Also, after completely removing TF, SAS was still very slow to start, and the computer was unresponsive for 10-30 seconds after starting SAS. Several times. And several reboots. CPU usage by SAS typically high nineties during each event.

I've gone the other way, and uninstalled SAS. Threatfire seems to work without problem with any other program on my computer, so I am not convinced the issue is solely with TF.

I note there are a few other threads on this forum describing similar symptoms. Unless (and until) it is established that Threatfire is the common problem with the other users, I will continue to remain to be convinced.

I was able to reproduce the problem as well as receiving minidumps from another user on this forum. After extensive debugging, I found that ThreatFire was crashing the system. The evidence that it was threatfire was complete and conclusive.

Don

I have also uninstalled SAS Free Edition. I did not get a BSOD, but the system just frezes. Task Manager would not end the application, so I killed the process which was using 98% of CPU. I tried reinstalling the application with the same results. I tried it with disabling the Direct Disk Access and kernel scanning options. Same result. It worked great until about 3-4 weeks ago.

I use Avira Personal AV and the PC Tools firewall. No Threatfire, so I think there may be another issue. I am not infected.

I really like the product so I hope the SAS engineers can figure this out.

There is another problem that matches your symptoms. It is caused by a Norton Internet Security 2009 update that occurred around the 19th of August. Symantec has pulled the update until they can figure out their issues. Norton is causing problems for a lot of applications out there right now and one of the problems we have experienced is that it causes SAS to use large amounts of system time and fail to completely start up.

The only solution that we're aware of at the moment is to uninstall NIS2009 and re-install it without the update.

Hope this helps.

Don

I uninstalled SAS from my desktop which uses XP Pro.

I also run Avira and the PC Tools my laptop. SAS works fine on the laptop. However, the laptop has Vista Home Premium and my laptop. Why would it work on Vista, but not XP?

I am running XP Pro with Service Pack 2. The laptop is 32 bit Vista. As I said earlier, no Threatfire.

I will try another firewall to see if it is something with the PC Tools Firewalll that is specific to XP.