lightning slinger

4.24.1004 - Windows 98

Hi again beatneck,

Yes, you ARE correct!

I just timed opening SAS and it now takes just under 30 seconds while it used to take just on 5 seconds. I had not realised it was as slow as that.

I can remember doing checks on opening times when they brought out the versions which were not suited to 98 before we had to revert back to 4.24.1004.

I just did a quick check with Process Explorer V11.10 and yes it does consume around 99%CPU usage on opening SAS, problem is I have never checked that on any previous occassion so I cannot comment if that is higher than it used to be.

Never mind cannot complain too much, at least SAS does (at present) still support 98.

Best regards,

Colin

I noticed the same problem. Reinstalling made it worse, so unfortunatly I had to unstall it again because I can`t update anymore now. I hope this can be fixed. Cleaning the registry didn`t help either. I had some problems with XP too but it works on that computer again.

Thank You

Unfortunately Windows 98 is now over 10 years old, and the % of users (<.05 using it in our client base make difficult to justify additional development and support we wish had more time resources provide such support. there is unfortunately not much can do for windows as far technology advances src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(">

Unfortunately Windows 98 is now over 10 years old, and the % of users (<.05%) using it in our client base make it difficult to justify additional development and support - we wish we had more time and resources to provide such support. There is unfortunately not much more we can do for Windows 98/ME as far as technology advances :(

If this is the case is it not about time you removed the information listing SAS as running under Windows 98, 98SE and ME.

The current version 4.28.1010 does not run once installed on these OS's as has been reported in another thread, to say it does is highly misleading.

Unfortunately Windows 98 is now over 10 years old, and the % of users (<.05 using it in our client base make difficult to justify additional development and support we wish had more time resources provide such support. there is unfortunately not much can do for windows as far technology advances src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(">

If this is the case is it not about time you removed the information listing SAS as running under Windows 98, 98SE and ME.

The current version 4.28.1010 does not run once installed on these OS's as has been reported in another thread, to say it does is highly misleading.

We will be updating our site. We are not trying to mislead anyone. There is only so much time in a day. :)

Dear all

If Beatneck suggest installing 4.24.1004 for any 98 user that wants to use this program only because it was the version that most suited us windows 98 users, and the problem is to find that earlier version I am out, I do not have this version, I and would like to install SAS in a old machine running Win 98SE, What can I do to get Version 4.24.1004? or where do I search in order to find it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me

Regards,

Antonio Macias

I am also seeing this problem on my dad's old Toshiba notebook/laptop (Celeron CPU!) with Windows 98 SE. :( I guess I will dump this program too.

I am also seeing this problem on my dad's old Toshiba notebook/laptop (Celeron CPU!) with Windows 98 SE. :( I guess I will dump this program too.

Why dump it, it still works, ok it may take some time to load, but as it ain't real time then I don't see a problem.

:mrgreen:

Well, I tried again. It still won't let me get the latest program update via its updater. If I abort it, it hangs even after 30 minutes. :( It still shows b1000 and 3/28/2009 definitions.

It often takes around 10 minutes or more to find and download the updates, how long are you leaving it before you cancel?

I personally do not think you are giving it enough time.

I waited about 15 minutes for the updater to find the uipdates. I will try again and longer. If that still fails, I will just install 1004 from scratch.

You mention b1000, is this the program version that you are currently trying to update?

If it is I would suggest un-installing and do a fresh install from the link I supplied for version 4.24.1004

By the way I have just updated to Core 4247, Trace 2138

After you have installed prog 1004 go to the options and untick automatic program updates as you will only ever want to update the defs in the future.

Well, things got worse. :( See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3653 for my new issue. :(

If I installed version 4.24.1004, wouldn't it be updated to another version whenever I tried to get new updates (definitions)??

If I installed version 4.24.1004, wouldn't it be updated to another version whenever I tried to get new updates (definitions)??

Make sure when you go into the settings that you UN tick the option for program updates, as you only need the def updates.

I un-checked both of the following in Updates:

#1- Automatically check for program and definition updates every 8 hours (recommended)

#2- Check for program updates when the application starts (recommended)

Is that what you meant?

When we (manually) check for definition updates every week, wouldn't program updates also be downloaded with the definition updates and therefore possibly updating our current version 4.24.1004? Which we would not want to do!

The un-checking appears to only pertain to automatic updates.

I un-checked both of the following in Updates:

#1- Automatically check for program and definition updates every 8 hours (recommended)

#2- Check for program updates when the application starts (recommended)

That is correct!

Running definition updates after doing that will NOT download program updates and keep you on 4.24.1004.