robinb9

A good backup program

I was looking for an easy backup program for many of my clients who use either flash drives or external drives to backup their pictures or Documents. I have a client who is a doctor and is in the middle of changing his medical software. the software is easy to understand but what he has to backup is a bit difficult. In Program files/ginkco he has to back up the whole program files. I thought this was a bit off so I called the company and they confirmed the same. The problem like most folders- ie My documents is when there is a change you either have to delete the folder, or make another folder and call it for example- "Program files 2" or something like that because a manual backup doesn't update the change itself- the user has to do it and it is a royal pain in the butt. They recommended Second Copy (http://www.secondcopy.com)

So I downloaded the software to see how it works since they let you trial it for a month,

Well I was real impressed. I put it through tests you would not believe. and it will also backup across a network- I tested that too. and it can do incremental updated files like a breeze and even a dummy can figure it out. What it does is you make a profile for each Main Folder you want- like a "My Pictures" Profile and/or a "My document"

profile. You have the choice if your external hd is connected to do a daily, hourly, weekly or manual backup. I do a daily network backup to another computer and I do a manual update for an external HD. You can set as many profiles as needed and each profile is set separately from each other. I liked the program so well I actually bought it for myself. It sells for $29.95 and it is well worth it and as long as you use it for your own personal use you can put it on up to 3 computers.

Try it out- it installs like a breeze. Once it installs set it up as a custom setup which gives you more flexibility

you can see some shots here too on how to use it

take the tour

http://www.secondcopy.com/secondcopy/tour/index.html

It doesn't conflict with Superantispyware or anything else that I have on my computer nor my clients computers and it works great on both Vista and XP

I just wanted to pass it on since as said i am real impressed with it and unless I have used it myself I normally do not recommend software.

robin

also what i like about it- is that you do not have to have the program to restore the data because all it does is make an exact copy of your folders and the great thing about it is when you make a change to a document or add a picture, etc it knows the change and only adds the new change. This way you do not have to "install the program again" then put the backup on.

I do not like programs like this because you never know if it is going to work and it makes one file and if it doesn't go back right you are totally screwed.

robin

i do not like clone or snaphot programs only because you could be the one (and believe me I have seen this with my own computers and clients) that it just doesn't go back correctly.- then what?

The most important part of your computer are your documents and data . If your computer dies and you have not backed them up you are lost.

You can always put back programs as long as you have the license or registration numbers and even if you did not you can always email the company and they can send it to you.

The free ones you can always download again.

As an IT person It has taken me maybe 6hours in total to put everything back on including service paks and security updates and driver updates

If your computer is less than 3yrs old you could probably call the company where you purchased it and they will walk you through putting back the OS, or you can call someone like me to put it all back for you.

The only disaster and you have to be pretty dumb if you did not get it when you purchased your computer is not to have a copy of the OS. If you do not have it- then you are basically screwed and will have to go out and purchase one.

Yes it is a bit time consuming but it is better than doing a clone of your computer, trying to put it back and it winds up failing or worse goes back and you find you are now getting blue screened all over because something did not install correctly.

Or worse- you had a virus or trojan on the system prior to cloning it and guess what? you now have it back once you put the clone back.

robin

have a client who is a doctor and is in the middle of changing his medical software? the medical software is easy to understand but what he has to backup is a bit difficult but how is it? I guess their is a guide in the help package...

Ultrasound repair

have a client who is a doctor and is in the middle of changing his medical software? the medical software is easy to understand but what he has to backup is a bit difficult but how is it? I guess their is a guide in the help package...

Ultrasound repair

I actually found this program pretty much the same way. I have a client who is an acupuncturist and she is changing her medical program that she uses for scheduling, etc and I researched the program for her and after calling the company they told me they only use secondcopy backup program because what she will need to pack up is in Program Files/Medisoft/...

these files constantly change it would be almost impossible for her to figure out each day/week when she backs up which files to do it.

this program does the initial backup and then all incremental files that have changed. what i like about it is you do not need the program to reput back the files. It just makes a simple backup of each folder and file and you "see" them all

If you go here you can get the help files and a tour of how it works

http://www.secondcopy.com/secondcopy/tour/index.html

robin