edo

dealing with lack of x86 driver

I've installed my SAS Pro (registered) on a new Vista machine. It seems to work OK, but the Event Viewer shows an error

\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

So I don't know how well SAS is catching malware. I also have a virtual W2K machine with Firefox installed running in Sun xVM on top of the Vista. Until the x64 driver that's been promised becomes available, would my protection be better if I installed SAS in the VM and did my online work there? Would it help to install it in Vista's Program Files rather than in Program Files (x86)? (All of my browsers in Vista are x86). Is there any info on when drivers will become available for Vista 64-bit? Thanks, edo

Would it help to install it in Vista's Program Files rather than in Program Files (x86)? (All of my browsers in Vista are x86). Is there any info on when drivers will become available for Vista 64-bit? Thanks, edo

No you would still get the same error message shown.

Like you I'm a registered user and am impatiently waiting for an x64 version to be released. As you say if SAS drivers aren't loading how can you be sure that you are protected? My own view is that a manual scan should work fine but Real-Time Protection can not be fully enabled without the relevant drivers being loaded correctly.

Thanks for the helpful feedback DooGle. I don't generally enable RT SAS, just check offline periodically or when I suspect something. A quick search shows that the jury is out as to whether & how x86 machines are more vulnerable that 32-bit ones - if I get time I'll follow this up in the Sun VM and Firefox forums. I'm curious if there would be any more protection running a 32-bit MS OS w/ compatible virus & malware pgms. in a VM... - edo

Thanks for the helpful feedback DooGle. I don't generally enable RT SAS, just check offline periodically or when I suspect something. A quick search shows that the jury is out as to whether & how x86 machines are more vulnerable that 32-bit ones - if I get time I'll follow this up in the Sun VM and Firefox forums. I'm curious if there would be any more protection running a 32-bit MS OS w/ compatible virus & malware pgms. in a VM... - edo

x86 is 32-bit. x64 is 64-bit. I think you are getting a bit confused edo.

x86 is 32-bit. x64 is 64-bit. I think you are getting a bit confused edo.
Oops, you're right. Late-night typing... - edo

Shame this seems to have been kicking around for several months now, and still not fixed. Once again, I gave up and un-installed SAS.

Uninstalled it before when they could not find/fix the issue with Nividia cards causing spikes in the CPU. Now have a new machine, Vista64 HP SP2 with ATI card, so came back to try out SAS only to find yet another long-standing bug. :roll::?

Maybe an old post - but I am running real-time on 64 bit Vista - did not get any errors in Event logs. Installs in Program Files (x86) as all 32 bit applications should - and runs perfectly fine. Tested with two links xyz360400 provided (https://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2827) for real time detection.

You have 2 safe options that I know of:

* Trojan Simulator. SAS should hit on it as you execute it, before it even installs.

* BlueScreen Screensaver by MS Sysinternals. SAS should hit on this one AFTER execution because it isn't really malware (and isn't supposed to be like Trojan Simulator) but is sometimes used by malware makers to convince users that their systems are experiencing BSOD's.