JMH

Window security center

SAS is not & has not ever been listed in Security Centre - Malware protection - on either of our laptops. [running identical progs.]

Our current SAS is 4.26.1000, core 3827, trace 1783.

Now you have me wondering--------------

Are you suggesting that

1.SAS should be listed as "on" in our Win. Sec. Centre?

2.Our Anti virus [ or another malware prog. ] is "bumping it off"?

Under Malware Protection we have AVG & Defender only listed as being "on".

Are you Ultimate 64-bit?

I'm very interested in an answer to your original question. Anyone out there ????????

Thanks. Will try it over the weekend.

Have you had to use the "Security centre reset tool" yourself?

Hi xyz360400,

A point of clarity please re the Security Centre reset tool that you recommended. You said "it requires you to uninstall all security software detected by Security Center ..........".

In our case that refers to AVG 8.5 & Defender only. AVG uninstall is obvious

:!: Other options re progs not listed in "S.C" -

1.ignore SAS & Spyware Blaster

2.disable / exit both SAS & SWB , &

3. just turn Defender & Vista firewall off

Your comments welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Will do. Won't be for a few days though, I'm busier than a dog with fleas at the moment! :lol:

Let me know how it works out.

Sorry re the delay - unfortunately the fix didn't work on two laptops running identical OS & security progs. :roll:

Thanks for your help though. :)

Ta!

Re "I stumbled across this and it looks promising:"

I'm familiar with this one & had already tried it. [running as Administrator ]

After "winmgmt / verifyrepository" [ note spaces ] I get "invalid parameter" followed by "Win.

Management Instrumentation" that includes 8 options including "Salvage Repository"

At no stage does the system return "WMI repository is not consistent"

If I put in "winmgmt/verifyrepository' [no spaces] I get "WMI repository is consistent"

Oh well..................... sigh!!!!

Thanks - You are determined to find a solution to this hiccup.

Ouch! The kid gloves are off, I'm punch drunk already! [i need another holiday.]

It's "Windows, monthly, Patch Wednesday' here in Australia & I have 9 of the blighters to install. Being conservative I want to check the system is stable before any more uninstalling / reinstalling of Security progs. However I will give it a try later. [ :idea: Or perhaps I allow you remote access to play with / fix this 64-bit Win.Sec. Centre!]

Yes very satisfying to solve problems.[frustrating & often time consuming too.] If everyone had your attitude the world might be a happier place.

Slightly off topic question - are you happy with your Vista firewall set up? [i'm guessing you've gone the extra step that I've read about.]

Re -

"I really REALLY hope this one works . Let me know how it goes."

Followed your clear instructions, no error messages, no BSOD, & still no SAS listed in WSC.

Would be interesting to know if many other SAS Vista users [ both 32 & 64- bit] had NO SAS listed in WSC / Malware Protection /

Spyware & other malware protection.

Quote "You should have a folder called wbem, not a file."

Oops! :? My mind is not on the job. [i have one aged very best friend, a 14 year old yellow Labrador, with heart & kidney probs.

It is getting close to "nembutal" time I think. :( ]

One Repository folder only found here too.

At this stage I shall opt out of the "cosmetic fix" as my time & attention will be else where. I will however keep watching the progress of the other person with interest.

Thanks.

My SuperAntiSpyware Pro does show up in the WSC under Spyware and other malware protection as being turned on, so that part is OK for me.

But under Virus Protection it says "Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer".

Can this be corrected? Shouldn't SuperAntiSpyware be listed under Virus Protection as well as Spyware and other malware protection?

Thanks,

Vista Home Premium 64 bit

SAS is not an antivirus. It is Antispyware and meant to run along side your antivirus. I have Avira Free. Avira is light on resources and has a great detection rate. In my opinion, here are your best options for antivirus:

Free versions: Avira or Avast

paid versions: NOD32 or Kaspersky

Any of these with SAS is a great combo :mrgreen:

Thanks prarie dog!

I downloaded and am running Avira Free and it has already detected a couple of things! :shock:

My Malware Protection in WSC is already green! :D

Thanks a bunch!!!

I am dual booting with Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit RC. Guess I'll install it there too!

By the way, I cannot right click on objects and click "scan with SuperAntiSpyware" (it's not an option).

I bought 2 copies of SuperAntiSpyware Pro, one for myself and one for my daughter's laptop.

She has the option to right click on objects and "scan with SuperAntiSpyware".

She also has Vista Home Premium, but the 32 bit version.

Wonder what I am missing?

Thanks for the fast response!

The right-click context menu handler dll is not compatible with 64 bit windows in the release product. We currently have 64 bit working internally and hope to release it to beta test in the near future.

Thanks

SUPERAntiSpyware Support Team

Thanks prarie dog!

I downloaded and am running Avira Free and it has already detected a couple of things! :shock:

My Malware Protection in WSC is already green! :D

Thanks a bunch!!!

Your very welcome :mrgreen: