genegold

SAS Pro and IE8 conflict?

IE's not my main browser, but since I installed it a good week ago it's loaded very slowly every time. Today, on an MS security newsgroup, someone posted that Spyware Blaster and Spybot-S&D are having problems with IE8 - http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2 ... ation.aspx and http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/0 ... e-now.aspx. That makes me wonder if there's also a conflict with SuperAntiSpyware Pro. Anyone else having a problem? I'm using 4.26/1000.

Yes, Spybot is only program I run have issues with IE8. Spybot loads 10 of 1000s of entries into the Hosts file and IE restricted site area of IE8. This basically something they show not

be doing per my post on the Spybot forms http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=47104.

When running IE8, just undo the ALL the Spybot immunization, and IE8 works fine.

At this point Spybot does not think they have an issue....mmmmmmmm.

Here is part of my post

*********************************************************************************************

IE8 is only slow with Spybot immunization, not any other Anti-Spyware or Anti-Virus programs, I run, which are:

Norton Internet Security, Norton Safe-Web, SpyBlaster, Super Anti-Spyware, Norton Anti-Bot, Malware Bytes Real Time, Win Patrol do not slow down IE8 on XP SP3 or Vista, IE8 is only slow with Spybot immunization.

So that tells me SpyBot has problem.

I think it is the 10,000 items in the Hosts file immunization, is causing

the majority of the problem.

I do not think Microsoft will fix this issue as they do not recommend using

the Hosts file for protection activities.

**************************************************************************************************

It's not the hosts file, it's the restricted sites list: http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2 ... abled.aspx

When it exceeds a certain number, IE8 freaks out. If the number of SpywareBlaster entries ever gets high enough, it will cause the same problem. I had this issue as I used IESPYAD (restricted sites list), Spybot's Immunization, and SpywareBlaster along with HostsMan (including Bluetack's hosts) and the problem went away once I removed all the restricted sites. My hosts file still has thousands of entries in it and is approximately 5mb in size so it isn't a problem with the number of HOSTS file entries, it's the restricted sites under the zonemap/domains keys in the registry. The IE developers have acknowleged this and plan on implementing a fix down the road as it has to do with code changed in the final version of IE8 and this problem did not occur with the beta's or the RC build.

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I do have a Hosts file, tho only about 600KB. I have SpywareBlaster and Spybot free versions, tho neither load at start up. My resident app is SuperAntiSpyware Pro. Makes me wonder if that's where the conflict is occurring.

Follow up: Went back to IE7 and start speed is back to normal.

That makes me wonder if there's also a conflict with SuperAntiSpyware Pro. Anyone else having a problem? I'm using 4.26/1000.

Hello,

IE8 and SAS Pro doesnot create any conflict or system slow_down.

There is no need to uninstall/reansintall SAS when upgrading from IE7 to IE8.

SAS is a very stable program that integrates it's own with most other antivirus program ...

Berny +++

Yes I know. I went back to IE7 almost two weeks ago and things returned to how they were. It didn't hurt to ask, tho, given what was apparently occurring with two other anti-spyware apps.

No problems here running SAS Pro and IE8. Haven't run SpywareBlaster, Spybot or IE Spyad in ages, but I DO use the MVPS.org Hosts File. No conflicts whatsoever with IE8 or FX browsers.