bilvihur

Reboot To Remove Tracking Cookies?

New to SAS. I find the usual tracking cookies with weekly runs. Each time, SAS asks me to reboot to completely remove them. I never had to reboot with Spybot S&D, nor CCleaner, so why now? Are tracking cookies deactivated without rebooting?

I'll run for a week to collect cookies, then close my browser before running SAS. If I still get the reboot msg, I'll verify the cookies' path, run CCleaner, then check Explorer to see if they're still there. Keep you posted.

I ran SAS after collecting cookies for a day. The browser was off. SAS 'quarantined' them, and then asked me to reboot to 'remove the infection'. Instead, I ran CCleaner, which found some cookies, but none of the tracking cookies identified by SAS. I think the Reboot msg is erroneous, or at least not applicable for this situation.

More inconsistency. If I run SAS custom scan for Cookies alone, nothing is found. However, if I Select Folders (Users\username...) it finds 20 tracking cookies! I don't want to beat this to death, but I'm getting an uneasy feeling about SAS. :? I might add that the previous explanation that cookies are 'flagged' for removal at next reboot leaves me wondering about their current status. Are they still active? I may reboot no more that 2-3x a month, and I see this as a privacy issue. Thanks.

No, I wasn't aware of that; but the question remains: Is SAS removing tracking cookies without a reboot?

Of course it will - unless the cookie file is in-use or locked, then a reboot may be required.

One last time. I started with a freshly rebooted system, browser closed:

Ran SAS Custom Search for Cookies: Nothing was found;

Ran SAS Custom Search specifying folder \Users\username... :34 Tracking Cookies were found;

Verified they were in \Cookies\Low folder, then took SAS defined action to remove them...

SAS popped up a msg saying I had to reboot to remove infection...

I chose to Finish without rebooting...

SAS popped up another msg asking if I wanted to reboot...

I 'X'd' out of SAS without rebooting...

Viewed the \Cookies\Low folder: The Tracking Cookies were gone!

My conclusion: Not finding cookies unless a custom folder search is ordered is an SAS error;

The Reboot popups are misleading and erroneous. The cookies are already gone!

After scan for cookies:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

https://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/18/2009 at 07:39 AM

Application Version : 4.25.1014

Core Rules Database Version : 3795

Trace Rules Database Version: 1751

Scan type : Custom Scan

Total Scan Time : 00:00:00

Memory items scanned : 0

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 0

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 0

File threats detected : 0

After folder scan:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

https://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/18/2009 at 07:59 AM

Application Version : 4.25.1014

Core Rules Database Version : 3795

Trace Rules Database Version: 1751

Scan type : Custom Scan

Total Scan Time : 00:09:09

Memory items scanned : 0

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 0

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 3932

File threats detected : 34

Adware.Tracking Cookie

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@247realmedia[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@2o7[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@adbrite[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@ads.pointroll[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@advertising[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@apmebf[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@at.atwola[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@atdmt[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@bs.serving-sys[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@burstnet[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@c7.zedo[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@collective-media[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@doubleclick[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@eas.apm.emediate[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@fastclick[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@insightexpressai[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@mediaplex[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@questionmarket[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@realmedia[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@revsci[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@serving-sys[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@specificclick[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@specificmedia[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@tacoda[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@tribalfusion[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@webpower[2].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@www.burstnet[1].txt

C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\william@zedo[1].txt

One more attempt. Using the latest version of SAS 4.26.1000, I find 24 tracking cookies. I verify that they exist in the Cookie folder. Then I hit 'Next' on the SAS screen to remove them. SAS comes back telling me I'm still infected until I Reboot. Instead, I look in the Cookie folder and they have all been deleted! Why can't SAS correct this erroneous Reboot message and save everyone a lot of aggravation?