Sign in to follow this  
Orbit1

Unable to complete scans

Hi folks. My computer can no longer run a scan. It shuts the computer off and I have to pull the power plug to reset it, to restart it. I think my hard drive is near dead because it whirrs like it's scanning all the time. It also takes forever to boot up. Otherwise I can do everything as usual with this computer but I cannot run a scan. The only scan I can accomplish is Malwarebytes quick scan (9 minutes). Everything else, short or long scans shut down the computer. This includes SAS Pro, Adaware, A-Squared, and Avira antivirus. I'm careful to update the realtime stuff religiously. Question is: does this sound like a dying hard drive or is it even possible that some malicious code could cause such a thing. I seriously need to run a full scan but can't. Thank you.

I tried scanning in safe mode. It seemed to help just a little. I got a further into the scan before shutting down. I ran the check disk program with fix errors selected. It seems to have helped somewhat. I managed a full Malwarebytes scan. I got just halfway through an SAS quick scan before shutting down. I noticed the cpu's remain low on the Malwarebytes scan and Adaware whereas SAS and A Squared really get to cranking. Is the check disk program something that should be run on a maintenance basis? Anyway, thanks for the help thus far. My concern was in making sure my computer is not infected.

SASService, I unchecked those 3 items but still unable to complete a scan. It takes about 20 minutes for the quick scan on my P4, XP machine. I make it about 4 or 5 minutes, then shutdown. The cpu's max out during the HKU scanning and then shutdown is just a couple minutes away. A malwarebytes scan is coming up clean. Unless you have another idea, I may just turn on my Returnil system and limp along that way. Thanks.

I wanted to wrap this up with the help I received from the SAS folks. I am able to run full scans, including the registry once again. It turns out that I needed to UNDO my immunization from SpyBot and then run the scan. I can then reimmunize if I choose to. I've no idea if "immunizing" does anything but I'm sure happy to be able to scan the registry and everything else with SAS once again. Thanks!