onetime

buffer overrun detected! winlogon.exe

hi guys, just wanna share with u my findings on this issue.

get error "buffer overrun detected! ...winlogon.exe" when starting up my pc. therefore im unable to login into windows xp.

disconnected my primary hdd and connect it as slave in another comp. ive always had a habit of running hijackthis and saving the log files.

upon checking, i find a key " O20 winlogon notify = c:\program files\superantispyware\SASWINLO.dll ".

usually this dll file has no problems as ive been using superantispyware for almost 3 yrs now, but recently upon updating the software and rebooting after that, gives the ""buffer overrun detected! ...winlogon.exe" error.

since im unable to run hijackthis to delete this key (because the hdd is now set to slave in another computer.), i renamed the SASWINLO.dll to SASWINLO.dll.old and voila! able to startup perfectly!

my guess is that upon updating of superantispyware, somehow the SASWINLO.dll file became unstable or something.

so to superantispyware engineering team, please look into this matter.

thanks a bunch for the great work so far!

peace out!

I had the same problem. Was only because Ifound this post that I was able to overcome it.

Cheers onetime..! You the man with the answer.

Only I didn't have access to another computer for the slave drive trick. I used a Ubuntu Live CD to achieve the same result.

Why had this happened to my machine.?

I only Updated and Scanned. Next reboot (immediately after) My machine wouldn't start. Was stuck in a reboot loop.

All good now. is this a flaw with the Update.

I have been Using SAS for couple years, never had a problem before. Very good program

that's saved me a few times before. Little cautious now...

I only joined this forum just to say thank you to onetime You saved me a complete reinstall. I had this 1 time befor and did not find this answer when i searched and had to reinstall windows.

So HOOAH YOU ARE THE MAN AND THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

I also registered here just to say Thank You to onetime for posting a solution. I was fortunate enough to have an old pc laying around so I popped in the problem drive, renamed the .dll, put the drive back in and it booted up!! I'll be checking back to see if anyone solves the root cause. Until then, I'm reluctant to install any updates to SUPERAntiSpyware.

First off I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to onetime for finding the solution and also to metalmanicman for suggesting Ubuntu Live CD to use in renaming SASWINLO.DLL.

To the admin team:

* What version of Windows you're using: Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

* What version of SUPERAntiSpyware you're using (or were using, when the problem happened): 3.3.1020

* The version of the old SASWINLO.dll: 1.0.0.1028

I ran into the same issue on 4/12/09 after updating the SAS and running a scan. Upon the next boot up, I received the error. I have set my hdd to slave and renamed the file and I expect the same result as the others when I get home (Im at Work - my IT guy is helping me!).

Windows Version : XP professional

SuperAntiSpyware version: 3.5.0.1016

SASWINLO.dll version: 1.0.0.1028

Thanks!

Hi, I was also running

Windows: XP Media Ctr Ed. Svc pack 3

SaS: 3.5.0.1016

DLL: 1.0.0.1028

To answer why such an old version of SaS, I guess I would just have to say I was never prompted to update and never bothered to check the site myself after initial dl in 2006.

I was at my wits end and ready to do a clean wipe, as well. Couldn't get into Safe mode. Very frustrating. Thank goodness I was able to find this after 4 days of googling and asking around.

Elaine

Hi SAS team.

To follow up here are my Specs.

Must say I notice a trend.

Obviously we were all using our tried and trusted old versions,

with NO NEED to update (except definitions of course)

Windows XP Pro

SaS: 3.5.0.1016

DLL: 1.0.0.1028

Frankly I've not used SAS on any of my machines since that fateful day in March.

Does this mean the latest version of SAS is not going to cause this issue?

Frustratingly, I have just updated my SAS today and got the same error - fine, I should have searched for a more updated version of SAS, but I must also say it's normal for users to only update rather than look for a new version every time - furthermore, an update should have detected a newer version and prompted the installation... I just thought that after this problem had been known for 6 months, it would have been fixed to avoid anymore problems in the future...

By no means I am ungrateful for SAS, but I'm sure you can imagine how troublesome it is for someone like me with only laptops in the house to get this problem fixed...

Are there no other way to rename the file other than pulling the whole hard drive out? I am quite programming-illiterate and don't know what "Ubuntu Live CD" is... how is that easier? I'm running xp btw. Thanks very much in advance!

Frustratingly, I have just updated my SAS today and got the same error - fine, I should have searched for a more updated version of SAS, but I must also say it's normal for users to only update rather than look for a new version every time - furthermore, an update should have detected a newer version and prompted the installation... I just thought that after this problem had been known for 6 months, it would have been fixed to avoid anymore problems in the future...

By no means I am ungrateful for SAS, but I'm sure you can imagine how troublesome it is for someone like me with only laptops in the house to get this problem fixed...

Are there no other way to rename the file other than pulling the whole hard drive out? I am quite programming-illiterate and don't know what "Ubuntu Live CD" is... how is that easier? I'm running xp btw. Thanks very much in advance!

This can ONLY happen with an almost 2 year old version of SAS and the new definitions - it cannot happen with ANY recent (newer than 2 years old) version.....

I wanted to thank you for solving the issue ! I was already gathering all software to re-install the pc from scratch when i came across your post! The problem that i tried to fix with superantispyware seems to be still there ((the scroll bars have life on their own and control the screen that keeps moving up and down without control), but at least now I'm again able to work on the computer and try to find a solution...

tks/bye

p.s. i did download superantispyware the day i run it!