ldb

Windows 98

Has this version been repaired so that it runs properly on Windows 98SE? The last 4.25 version did not. It still says compatible with 98 in the FAQ's. Thanks

Hi Idb,

I run 98Se on a couple of boxes and just updated one of them to 4.25.1014.

It does work OK and the only drawback I have observed so far is that it does take longer to open the program.

4.24.1004 took just on 5 seconds to open, whereas 4.25.1012 took over 30 seconds to open and had problems during downloading definition updates, even closing the program was difficult, which prompted me to revert back to the earlier version.

Now the new version 4.25.1014 takes 16 seconds to open (this on a Pentium 111, 1.4Ghz), but it runs fine and has the same response to commands that the earlier versions had. With 16 seconds to open, I could probably live with although all my other apps open around the five second mark.

I will probably stick with it and see how it goes.

HTH

Colin

Hi Idb,

I have reverted back to version 4.24.1004 as further problems have emerged with the latest version.

The problem of freezing during downloading the definitions files is still present to some extent, it is better but by no means is it cured. This is on a 1.4Ghz CPU and 768mB of RAM, anyone running 98 on a slower CPU may suffer total lockup of the application.

I cannot really see any of the recent additions to the program being of use to us 98 users anyway, although I was hoping to see the ability to scan from right clicking in the context menu added in a future version but if we have to stick with 4.24.1004, so be it.

HTH

Hi guys

I am having similar problems, just recently the programme is taking ages to load and until it launches, it blocks other applications. It used to load up in a few seconds and is now taking possibly a couple of minutes to do so. Not a problem if the computer in not needed in a hurry, I just switch on and go and make a cup of tea while it loads! Perhaps the answer is to revert to an earlier version, is there an earlier version to download anywhere? I only have 4.25 which used to work quicker. Also, don't the updates effectively build the later version?

You can find earlier versions at File Hippo. I would recommend the 4.24.1004 version as it does not seem to have any of the compatibility issues that the 4.25 versions have. The editors of the program should repair it or put a disclaimer in the FAQ's that state the program runs on Windows 98. I have not seen anyone who claims that they are not having difficulty.

Hi stagman,

As Idb suggests go with 4.24.1004 version, this is certainly the last version that works as intended on W98.

Remember to go to Preferences, click on Update tab and uncheck 'Check for program updates when application starts', which I think is enabled by default, otherwise when the program is opened it will download the newer version that you do not want. Running updates with this unchecked will only download definitions.

HTH

Even without the problems of the newer versions, if the detection in Windows 98 is not improved, there's no advantage to trying to run a newer version of the program. As long as 4.24.1004 still gets the updates and has the same level of detection in Windows 98 then it should be fine to run 4.24.1004.

Thanks guys. Found 4.24.1004 on File Hippo and reinstalled instead of the later version and unchecked the check for updates box. All probs solved now. Great news. Its also reduced my tea intake! (What did we do before forums came along?)

:D:D:D:D

It's not the detection level that is the problem as I assume if it is in the data base it can be detected by the scanner. My concern is that the ability to remove (or correct) detected problems will not be present in the older version and thus even if a problem is detected it may not be able to be removed......

Previous posts by the moderators indicated that they were trying to find the problem with W98 but we have not heard anything for quite sometime now......

EdR

Hello:

I am using Windows 98 in this particular computer and my IPHLPAPI.DLL version is 5.00.1717.2 I had trouble with the latest SAS version so I installed free version 4.24.1004. I thought it was working fine but now I am not so sure. Every time I do a definitions update a pop up screen (that offers a paid version) appears at the end of the update indicating that the latest definition was (apparently) installed (core: 3848 Trace: ? for today 4/14/09). I said "apparently" because the definition database version shown in the main SAS screen always stays the same: core: 3688 trace:1664. Is it really updating or not, how can I check? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, HAL9k

As you suggested, I did a definition manual update and it looks it worked. The Definition Database Version shown now is Core: 3843 Trace:1797. I guess this is the way I will have to do it from now on. Thanks, HAL9k

As you suggested, I did a definition manual update and it looks it worked. The Definition Database Version shown now is Core: 3843 Trace:1797. I guess this is the way I will have to do it from now on. Thanks, HAL9k

I've been using 4.26.0.1000 with success. Aside from taking >15 minutes to update definitions, it seems to work fine. (I do have it set to manual update only, because of the long update time. If you don't set it that way, the system will appear to lock up on startup.)

FYI: W98SE on 2.X GHz w/ 500 MB.