TonyDee

SAS freezes my computer

Hi all,

I've been running SAS successfully for quite some time now. However, now I'm having a problem. After a few minutes of starting a SAS Complete scan, my computer freezes. The mouse doesn't move and there is no feedback using the keyboard - by that I mean Control=Alt-Del doesn't do anything and toggling the Caps or Num Lock doesn't toggle the lights on the keyboard.

What's going on here?

XP-Pro SP-3

Run a complete scan in Windows safe mode. Also, make sure you have the newest version of SAS (4.25.1012) and definition database Core 3753 / Trace 1718.

I ran SAS in Safe Mode - no problems noted. Then I ran it in Normal mode and again it froze the machine after a few minutes. I also noted that this time it stopped at the same file it stopped last time which I thought was interesting.

Note: Previously while trying to figure out what the problem was, I uninstalled SAS and downloaded the latest and updated it.

If SAS runs fine in Safe Mode but not Normal Mode, that means that there is a conflict between SAS and a normal mode startup item/driver.

What other security products are installed, and what is running in the background?

Thanks Seth - The only other security I have is your favorite: AVG. I disabled it and will run another SAS scan to see how far it gets.

What else is running in the background? Do you want a list of my startup items and non-MS services?

I have Zone Alarm and it tells me that LogMeIn is trying to access the Internet, so I know those two are running.

Disabling AVG didn't help. I then uninstalled it. Additionally, I uninstalled several programs and HP Printer software that I don't use.

It didn't fix the problem. Next I'll remove Zone Alarm and see what happens.

btw: this is one of my XP desktops and I don't use it much. I especially don't use it for Internet access because when it comes to the web, I'm usually on one of my Macs.

I removed several applications that I no longer use in addition to removing several printers and associated applications. I then uninstalled SAS and downloaded/installed/updated a fresh copy. The scan is working.

Somewhere along the way I thought I had uninstalled/downloaded/reinstalled SAS, but I don't see it in my notes.

It still takes about 15 seconds from the time I click on the Scan Your Computer button for the drives to show up. (Maybe it's more like 10 seconds, but it's longer that it should be).

Thanks for hanging in and helping.

Well I'm kind of at a loss here.

Is it hanging on the same file?

Does the hang occur if you uncheck "Use Direct Disk Access"?

Have you run a chkdsk /r lately?

Do you recall if the problem began after installing SP3?

It is not hanging at the same file. It varies. It usually hangs about 5 minutes into the scan.

I uninstalled SAS and then reinstalled it this morning after the failed scan. This time it hung during the installation. It hung during the section where it does some diagnosis of the machine. I usually skip that, but this time I let it go. It hung the machine just like it does when it scans.

I also timed how long it takesfrom when I click on the Scan your computer button, and it is indeed a good 15 seconds until the drives show up.

Sorry - I didn't disable Direct Disk Access. I've just done so and it's been scanning for 12 minutes without hanging - that's promising.

It looks like disabling Direct Disk access works.

Test results:

Direct Disk Access ...

- Disabled - scaned OK

- Enabled - scan failed

- Disabled - scan failed, but maybe I hadn't disabled it so I ran another

- Disabled - scaned OK

If disabling Direct Disk Access allows the scan to complete, what does this indicate.

Note: In each scan, SAS hasn't reported any threats.

This is great. I go to submit the request. I fill out the license number and my reseller number and include a brief description of the problem including a reference to this thread. Then it wants to do a diagnostic report.

Click NEXT and get "There was a problem loading or running the the diagnostic program on your system."

Note: The double 'the' in the verbiage. That should be changed.

At this point I don't think the report went thru.

Is there someone here from SAS who can confirm that the report went thru?

Here's their response:

Certain systems are just not compatible with the Direct Disk Access - there are so many different forms of "NTFS" that some are just not able to be accessed directly.

Here's their response:

Certain systems are just not compatible with the Direct Disk Access - there are so many different forms of "NTFS" that some are just not able to be accessed directly.

Which is exactly true - some disk defrag programs somehow alter the NTFS system in ways we have not seen yet and not in a "documented" method.

Looks like this thread is dead as there hasn't been any new posts for a while and SAS has not responded to the last post of the CSR I created.

This is the second CSR I've created. The other one was created on Dec 23, 2008. I had no response CST at all. and ended up getting my SAS sales rep involved to solve it. In the end, I found the cause and gave SAS another product suggestion.

Disappointed ....

What was the cause? I think I had an infected machine here and pulled the hard drive and connected the hd to this XP machine to copy user files. The intent was to copy the user files to this XP machine, scan them to verify no infections and then return the files to the customer. The customer had purcahsed a new machine and only wanted the files.

From what I remember, at that point the SAS scan didn't complete and I had to use another machine to finish the job. My records aren't exact so don't hold me to them, but that's where I believe it started.

It's no big deal because I can rebuild this XP machine without worry. However, I see no reason to rebuild it because it's running nicely. it's just frustrating that SAS won't run properly and that the cause is unknown. This is my machine, it rarely gets used.

thanks for your interest

I've been repairing computers for thirteen years.

An "unknown cause" is par for the course.

You just find a work around and move on.