robinb9

Pro or free is still "end tasking" on shutdown or reboot

This seems to be only happening in Xp sp3 and it doesn't matter which version of xp it is doing it on. I have around 20 clients on the Spro version and all of them are experiencing this problem when they either shut off the computer or restart. I have about 20 of them on the free version with the bug in startup and the same problem happens.

Superantispyware Pro or free (as long as the bug is in startup) has to "End Task". Sometimes XP can end task it by itself, on others you must click the "end task" button or it just sits there and XP will not reboot or shut down. I thought the latest version fixed this problem but it did not.

Some of them are running AVG Pro/free, while others are running Avira Free/pro and some others are running Trend Micro Pro. This is also happening on my own computers. I tried a test on my test computer which has almost nothing running in startup except essential windows files, removed the antivirus program and the same thing happened. I do not know if it makes a difference but on one clients computer, where i could not get superantispyware to stop end tasking and it was totally locking up their computer so to protect them I uninstalled superantispyware and installedt Malwarebytes and they purchased the pro version, this problem doesn't happen at all. Both are antispyware programs but malwarebytes did not have this problem. I then tried malwarebytes on my test computer, took superantispyware Pro out of startup and the problem went away. Removed malwareytes from starting up in startup- rechecked superantispyware pro to startup in startup and Walla! problem back.

I really wish you would fix this because it is really annoying because as said sometimes windows cannot end task it and if you are not sitting right in front of the computer when this happens your computer will hang up and not shut down.

robin

This sounds very much like a problem I had some 4-5 years ago with a firewall program. Turned out that it had something to do with the "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" and the firewall task always had to be ended manually. Installing the Microsoft "uphclean" service solved the problem.

The link to the uphclean download and info:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/deta ... laylang=en

Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.

I have three XP SP3 computers with SAS Pro and Kaspersky AV. This problem occurs randomly on the two laptops, not the desktop. It doesn't bug me particularly because SAS always ends before the timeout so it is only a small delay.

This seems to be only happening in Xp sp3 and it doesn't matter which version of xp it is doing it on. I have around 20 clients on the Spro version and all of them are experiencing this problem when they either shut off the computer or restart. I have about 20 of them on the free version with the bug in startup and the same problem happens.

Superantispyware Pro or free (as long as the bug is in startup) has to "End Task". Sometimes XP can end task it by itself, on others you must click the "end task" button or it just sits there and XP will not reboot or shut down. I thought the latest version fixed this problem but it did not.

Some of them are running AVG Pro/free, while others are running Avira Free/pro and some others are running Trend Micro Pro. This is also happening on my own computers. I tried a test on my test computer which has almost nothing running in startup except essential windows files, removed the antivirus program and the same thing happened. I do not know if it makes a difference but on one clients computer, where i could not get superantispyware to stop end tasking and it was totally locking up their computer so to protect them I uninstalled superantispyware and installedt Malwarebytes and they purchased the pro version, this problem doesn't happen at all. Both are antispyware programs but malwarebytes did not have this problem. I then tried malwarebytes on my test computer, took superantispyware Pro out of startup and the problem went away. Removed malwareytes from starting up in startup- rechecked superantispyware pro to startup in startup and Walla! problem back.

I really wish you would fix this because it is really annoying because as said sometimes windows cannot end task it and if you are not sitting right in front of the computer when this happens your computer will hang up and not shut down.

robin

As a test, if you turn off real-time protection in SAS does it still happen? We have yet to see this happen in our labs with just about every configuration.

"As a test, if you turn off real-time protection in SASPro does it still happen? We have yet to see this happen in our labs with just about every configuration."

Also for those who are running the free version, isn't it only protecting the ie browser home page? and is there some kind of real protection on? because you cannot click on real protection with the free version but the same thing happens with the free or the pro.

hmm I have not tried it that way, I only stopped it from starting in "startup", but if I stop it from loading in startup (also I have "first chance protection OFF) on all the computers it is doing this on) doesn't that also stop real time protection?

if no, I will run a few tests (as said it seems to be a random thing on some computers and a every day occurrence on others). I will have to give it a few days of shutting off or rebooting to see if it does this with realtime protection off.

Nick are you running it on a computer with xp pro sp3? with either avg or avira as the virus protection? if not you should try it that way. Also you should do it as a shutdown or reboot and do it every day, because as said on some computers it does it continuously every day and others randomly.

robin

I have mentioned before that this glitch only started happening since SP3 was fully installed. If you read through the information at this linkhttp://www.insidehw.com/Software/Operating-System/Windows-XP-SP3-vs.-SP2.html it mentions that after installing sp3, Spyware Terminator was starting automatically even though its start up service was set to manual.

Now that isn't a big problem, but could sp3 have changed something that's not so glaringly obvious that's causing this shut down issue?

regards

tom

I have mentioned before that this glitch only started happening since SP3 was fully installed. If you read through the information at this linkhttp://www.insidehw.com/Software/Operating-System/Windows-XP-SP3-vs.-SP2.html it mentions that after installing sp3, Spyware Terminator was starting automatically even though its start up service was set to manual.

Now that isn't a big problem, but could sp3 have changed something that's not so glaringly obvious that's causing this shut down issue?

regards

tom

I know you mentioned it before, funny this is not having a problem on startup- superantispyware is having a problem shutting down.

robin

I was just on one of my clients computers that is having this problem. I did a reboot and got the "end task" message. He is running the pro version on xp home media center sp3. After the reboot I unchecked the resident shield and rebooted again. No error msg

BUT

once all loaded up- i again checked the resident shield. Rebooted and no error msg.

As said this is a on and off thing on some computers and always on others.

I will be able to test about 20 of them next week because I do their monthly maintenance then and i know the computer will need a few reboots so i will check and uncheck resident shield after each reboot and see what happens and report back here. I will be able to let you know by the 26 of feb

robin

I have three XP Home SP3 machines, all with virtually identical software. The old banger and one modern machine have never had a problem with shutting down with SAS Pro and BitDefender A/V 2009 running in real time together. The other modern computer has SAS hanging on to the very last moment while closing upon computer shutdown, with the occasional lock up which means manually closing SAS.

I disabled BitDefender (BD) in msconfig and five consecutive shutdown/restarts went without a hitch. Reinstating BD brought the fault back immediately.

Much dialogue with BD support led nowhere and I was prepared to ditch them and try another A/V solution.

I uninstalled BD using their own uninstaller program and then ran CCCleaner in an attempt to remove all traces of it, (there were some).

I then installed ESET A/V and set it up.

Trying a restart caused SAS to hang in exactly the same way as before.

Into msconfig again and disabled ESET A/V. Five consecutive restarts went ok.

Both programs had been told in their exceptions to ignore the other.

It now looked to me as if I have treated BD with scorn for no fault of it's own, despite other faults it might have.

Going into View Control Centre, Hi-Jack Protection, after some trial and error I now have Allow Task Manager to terminate SAS unchecked.

After many trial restarts the machine now shuts down without any apparent delay or problem.

I am left with the question of wondering what difference this setting makes to my computer's security, seeing it goes against SAS recommendation?

Edit ----------------------------------------

My euphoria was short lived! After about a further half dozen restarts the Terminating box has returned. SAS always closes but I shall have to watch it every time to make sure, or as Madeline says exit SAS manually before shutdown.

Pete.

well i just updated this week so far 20 computers with the new version. 12 of them so far and i only rebooted them once, i did not see the end task, in either free or pro- the rest are still seeing the End task. I really wish windows would show it in event viewer but there is nothing in there to show, but I did notice when each icon on the right side goes away, superantispyware is the last one to go and then it end tasks.

robin