bobbyc

2 Vundo/Variants in seperate Scans - False Positives?

this afternoon, SAS found and quarantined the following -

Adware.Vundo/Variant-MSFake

C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT WORKS\LNCHTOUR.EXE

I am wondering if this really is a Trojan, or a False Positive?

I just rebooted (dell mini 9, XP Home) and as always I clicked the SAS Update button. It did download a new Update, and I then scanned again. Jackpot, another Vundo/Variant. here's the Log if it helps any.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

https://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 01/22/2009 at 12:50 PM

Application Version : 4.25.1012

Core Rules Database Version : 3722

Trace Rules Database Version: 1696

Scan type : Complete Scan

Total Scan Time : 00:20:47

Memory items scanned : 375

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 4186

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 10894

File threats detected : 1

Adware.Vundo/Variant-MSFake

C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{3DDB9746-F6E5-42F3-AF98-CCEEC78C2E8C}\RP13\A0007601.EXE

We are looking into it.

Thank You. I have both files in SAS quarantine, where they will stay until I hear from you.

Same problem for me, and it has been mentioned on other forums today. Therefore, 2 remarks :

1) it's recent ;

2) it's only detected by SAS (I scanned my pc with malwarebytes, gmer, prevx edge and outpost, and they didn't detect anything), as I read everywhere.

My browser is always sandboxed, so normally I shouldn't get infected. It might be a false positive.

I also got a recent one called "Adware.Vundo Variant"

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\MST120.DLL

Apparently Adware.Vundo/Variant-MSFake was a false positive. After updating SAS pro I restored the quarantined files and launched a scan again. It didn't detect anything, so I guess the update corrected the overzealous detection.

I got this too. When I removed Kompozer-portable from my sandisk usb flash drive connected to my computer, it went away. I haven't used this usb flash anywhere, *but* my computer and kompozer-portable is a trustworthy piece of software, part of portableapps which has never done me wrong. I'm also pretty careful about keeping my computer clean. I think, with me, it could be a false positive connected to kompozer-portable?

Superantispy : Any news on the possible False Positives situation?

I would like to stay on top of this, as I oversee quite a few Family and Friends computers. I am always the first to update Programs on my two computers; before I advise F&F to update, I generally wait a couple of weeks.

btw: Since my original possible problem, I've run numerous scans using SAS version 4.25.1012 (at present, I am at Core 3734 and Trace 1703) , and I have not had any unlikely files identified as malware.