Bellzemos

SAS newbie questions

Hello!

I've used Ad-Aware for years, but it always found only some cookies, so I uninstalled it...

Now I've installed SAS Free Edition and am using it in combination with Avast Anti-Virus Free Edition (and CCleaner also). I hope that this combination will work nice. :)

I have some questions:

1. I ran SAS Quick Scan and it found no malicious content (Ad-Aware usually found at least 1 or 2 tracking cookies). Should I run it in Complete Scan?

2. Why is SUPERAntiSpyware.exe process active all the time, if the Free editions doesn't have the resident (constant) protection? Should I turn it off (how)? I'd like it to be "off" when I don't use it.

3. I don't know if I understood it right, but is it really necessary to uninstall the previous version and then install a new one when a new version of SAS is released? Or do I have to simply install the new one over the other? Will I get some notification about a new version (within the program, not on the forum or site)?

Thank you for your answers (and suggestions)! :)

Should I run it in Complete Scan?

Yes

I'd like it to be "off" when I don't use it.

Disable or remove it in "start_up"

but you'll get a better protection with the SAS Pro realtime_protection_shield

Will I get some notification about a new version within the program

Yes

Berny ++

1. I did a complete scan, but the result is the same (no bad files). :)

2. But I don't have a Pro version, I have a Free version. So what is the purpose of running it in the background if it doesn't have a resident protection? Will it work any different (worse perhaps) if I turn that process off?

3. OK, great. And then, do I have to uninstall the last version or just install the new one over the older one?

Thank you for your help! :)

...I have one additional question. What do you think of having SAS and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware together with Avast Anti-Virus installed and running on one machine? Will these three "fight"/interfere or complement each other? Is anybody using such a combination? Thanx! :)

I run SAS, Malwarebytes and Avast together with no problems. Make sure to keep them updated. You should be able to update the program without separately uninstalling the older version. It will uninstall when you run the installer for the newer version.

The reason for having SAS load at start up is that some malware will prevent it from starting once the PC is infected with that sort of malware. Also I believe the free version now checks for updates when the program starts. I'm not sure this was always the case and I would still check for updates manually. Malwarebytes needs to have the updates checked manually with the free version.

So the newer version of SAS will copy itself over the old one? That's OK then, i guess.

I'll let SAS load at start-up then. But does it have a good self-prevention system? If SUPERAntiSpyware.exe becomes infected, then I'll be in serious trouble. Does Malwarebytes' program run in background too?

And it's good to hear that those two don't clash/interfere with Avast! Thank you! :)

I don't think the free version of Malwarebytes runs in the background. When installing a newer version of SAS it will run the uninstaller of the older version but you shouldn't have to uninstall yourself first.

The reason for having SAS load at start up is that some malware will prevent it from starting once the PC is infected with that sort of malware. Also I believe the free version now checks for updates when the program starts. I'm not sure this was always the case and I would still check for updates manually. Malwarebytes needs to have the updates checked manually with the free version.

But if I turn off the option "Start SAS on Windows start", will it be as good on-demand sacanner and remover as with startup option on? MBAM and Ad-Aware also have those background running processes that do nothing. Is this a new trend (for protection)?

As explained somewhere above, some malware stop Antispyware programs from loading so if they are already loaded they have a better chance at defeating the spyware. Don't confuse with real time protection but indeed that is the answer to that problem . Resource use is not significant for real time but some users think it is. Hope this helps. :)

But if I turn off the option "Start SAS on Windows start", will it be as good on-demand sacanner and remover as with startup option on? MBAM and Ad-Aware also have those background running processes that do nothing. Is this a new trend (for protection)?

a-squared free also has a process running in the background, despite being only an on-demand scanner. I have both a-squared and SAS installed on my computer, and I've never noticed even the slightest impact on performance as a result of those background processes. I remember Nick explaining some time ago on this forum that if SAS is running from startup, it will defend itself if malware tries to turn it off. If it's prevented from running at startup, it can't do that. That extra bit of security seems worth having, to me.

Hm, since it "eats" a really small amount of memory when active, I guess you're right. Maybe it's that "bug" icon I can't get used to - being there and just waiting. :D Thank you. :)

Maybe it's that "bug" icon I can't get used to - being there and just waiting.

It's worth getting used to, truly. That 'bug' in the system tray is one of the most reassuring sights on my computer screen. I've felt like that about it ever since my daughter picked up some bad stuff on her computer sometime last year. Her other security products had failed to detect anything at all, but SuperAntispyware found and deleted the lot, and there was an end to the matter. You only need to see that sort of thing happen once, for that little bug in the system tray to seem like a very, very good friend.

see? now all bugs are not bad, especially the little yellow bug that sits there so nicely and gets "angry" when something tries to get on your system.

robin :D

Thank you all! :) I have another question...

Do you recommend SpywareBlaster with Avast, SAS and MBAM? Is it worth having SpywareBlaster installed? Cons/pros? Has anyone had any issues with it? Thank you! :)

Thank you all! :) I have another question...

Do you recommend SpywareBlaster with Avast, SAS and MBAM? Is it worth having SpywareBlaster installed? Cons/pros? Has anyone had any issues with it? Thank you! :)

I have 2 more questions...

1. I use Firefox for internet browsing. How SpywareBlaster handles Firefox updates? If Firefox updates itself, will SpywareBlaster still work right with the new FF version? I heard about some problems with FF/SB combination... Do you use Firefox with SpywareBlaster? Any problems?

2. Has SpywareBlaster many "false positives" - meaning it won't allow me to go to web sites that are clean, but "accidentaly" flagged as malicious by Spywareblaster? Is that a common/rare occurance?

Thank you! :)