pixturesk

SAS Free not running properly

I just installed the newest update to SAS Free on my Win98SE computer. All other versions work properly but after installing this newest update, SAS Free is either non-responsive trying to retrieve the definitions (after hitting crtl-alt-delete) or the program will not open at all. My Sygate Personal Firewall, as before, is allowing my computer to access the SAS site. This problem is totally new, how can I fix it? I am a non-techie so please make your reply very easy to follow. Thanks.

Interesting. After writing this, I try SAS Free again, works perfectly. Then try it again, a few times, the program takes a very long time to open, then seems to work properly again without the "non-responsive" error. Bottom line, just taking very long to open. Thanks.

Thanks Pandato. Win98SE works so well for me that I am not changing. This is the only version of SAS Free that has given me a problem. It's now working fine, just a little slow to launch the program. Protection is great. My next OS change will probably be either a Mac, security is barely a problem.

I installed SAS Free on a Windows VISTA system and have been using it for about 3 months. It's always taken longer than other apps to load, but it's never taken more than about 30 seconds.

I agree....Something has changed with the latest version on Win 98.....Takes a long time to start-up (longer than previous version) and may take multiple tries to update the data base (with a kill and restart of SAS in between)

Ed.R.

I have old PC with Windows 98 SE. I run SAS and I found a few programs that fix a lot of things in Win98SE.

Diskeeper Lite (reboot PC after installing before using, replaces Windows defrag program)

http://majorgeeks.com/Diskeeper_Lite_d1207.html

Ccleaner Slim (fixes disk cleanup that doesn't work in Win98SE, run cleaner and registry)

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_ ... d4191.html

Firefox 2 (latest security updates and newest version that runs on Win98SE)

http://majorgeeks.com/Mozilla_Firefox_2_d285.html

SpywareBlaster (protects against active X infections and restricts known bad websites, check for updates and download updates and enable all protection)

http://majorgeeks.com/SpywareBlaster_d2859.html

My SAS Free is taking about 30 sec to startup, then seems to be running fine. I also use that complete set of programs you list as well as Avast for AntiVirus protection, the last free version of Sygate Personal Firewall for Win98SE, HiJack This, MRU Blaster (from the same company that makes Spyware Blaster). The last version of Firefox that will work on 98SE is 2.0.0.20, version 3.xx will not. Mozilla is no longer offering any new updates for FF2.0.0.20 but the extensions continue to update. With all this protection software, I feel safe using FF2.0.0.20, have no plans to go to another browser.

I use Avast antivirus and Outpost free firewall that runs on Win98SE. I think the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader that works is 5.0 but I use Foxit pdf reader. For Java updated security on Win98SE I think the latest version of JRE is 1.5.0.17. This is sometimes called Java JRE 5.0 update 17.

For Windows Media player, Quicktime, Realplayer and playing movie DVD's I use Mdeia player Classic for Win98.

http://majorgeeks.com/Media_Player_Clas ... d5783.html

For CD/DVD writing I use an older version of Deep Burner. It's Deep Burner 1.8.

http://filehippo.com/download_deepburner/903/

I spoke too soon, still having problems with the newest SAS Free. After uninstalling the program then re-installing it from scratch the problems persist, will check it out for the next few updates.

Hi pixturesk,

I run 98SE on a couple of boxes and suffered identical problems to you upon updating SAS Free to V.425.1012.

It does not have the crisp response of the earlier versions and takes almost thirty seconds to open.

I have since reverted to V.4.24.1004 and all is working well again taking just less than five seconds to open on my 98SE2ME box.

Pandato.

Alot of us 98SE users use our 11 year old OS because we prefer it over later versions and anyone who cares to visit the Windows 98 forum on msfn.org will see that 98SE is very much alive and very much kicking.

HTH

Colin

Yes version 4.24.1004 does seem to run better on Win98SE than version 4.25.1012. Even though some software companies still make their software to install on Windows 98 they likely no longer test the software on Windows 98.

The key to using SAS Free is to get the spyware definitions, changes to the program that no longer support Win98SE are irrelevant, as long as we can continue to get the definitions (no matter which previous version of the program we use minus the newest features) our protection remains intact. I kept a copy of the previous version I was using ( not sure which version it is), am now going to install it, will report on my experience.

Colin. the Win98SE forum you refer to is something I have been following, contributing to for quite awhile. In fact I recently ran the update to AutoPatcher for Win98SE which effectively installs all the new patches, hotfixes, updates so my installation of 98SE is up to date to December 2008. This program must be used very carefully, might crash your computer, I have been very lucky with it.

Our testing DOES include Win98SE and the majority of definitions will work and do offer excellent protection as does prior v 4.24, However certain features are not supported or present in Win98SE so they cannot be implemented, ie No NTFS , Therefore advances to the engine cannot be implemented now or in the future. Trust you understand :)

Hey, I even still use win98 on a very laptop I refuse to dispose of so use the version that works for now. Don't expect future miracles however :roll:

Just un-installed SAS Free 4.25.1012, re-installed 4.24 1004 working normally again, will wait to try another update of definitions when the next one is available, trust it will work fine again. How can I prevent SAS Free from installing new versions of the program (eg 4.25.1012) when the notice appears in the bottom right corner of the screen. Is there a way just to install the definitions while retaining the current version which works on Win98SE. I am a non-techie, so please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.

Well since Win98SE doesn't use NTFS there may be no advantage to using a newer version than 4.24.1004 in Win98SE. I've found SAS and A-squared to be some of better anti-malware programs for Win98SE.

Just un-installed SAS Free 4.25.1012, re-installed 4.24 1004 working normally again, will wait to try another update of definitions when the next one is available, trust it will work fine again. How can I prevent SAS Free from installing new versions of the program (eg 4.25.1012) when the notice appears in the bottom right corner of the screen. Is there a way just to install the definitions while retaining the current version which works on Win98SE. I am a non-techie, so please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.

Open the SAS control panel. Go to Preferences and go to the updates tab. Uncheck the "check for program updates when the application starts" box.

Thanks, I am unchecking that. I saw that as well, just want to verify. SAS Free 4.24 1004 works fine was able to get the definitions as always. This is obviously the version for us Win98SE users.