Don M

Any news regarding 64 bit support?

Promissed "In 2008", now i understand that development can throw a curveball here & there, but Vista is now almost two years old & theres a telling silence about this and frankly it's time to bring out the 64 bit version for those that actually payed for this program and cannot use it.

So any news regarding a beta at least?

This post hopefully taken for what it is: Genuinely seeking at least a ball park figure on a beta program which i would to participate in, i know dates are not usually given, but considering the earlier "It will be in 2008" the last time i asked (7 months ago), not too much to ask for and if the answer is: "Not going to happen", then just say so. :wink:

SAS w/ real time protection (less FCP) has been compatible w/ x64 in 32-bit mode for quite some time, so I am not sure what you mean by "cannot use it".

My $.02.....

Personally I'd rather have the SAS team focus on current threats and improving the detection/removal capabilities instead of allocating those resources to developing true 64-bit drivers. The fact of the matter is that 32-bit OS'es are more common.

Many promises were given... but actually releasing new stuff... delay after delay after delay... :roll:

And then I'm not only talking about 64-bit support...! :roll:

Thanks for a shining example of exactly why we don't provide release dates.

SAS w/ real time protection (less FCP) has been compatible w/ x64 in 32-bit mode for quite some time, so I am not sure what you mean by "cannot use it".

My $.02.....

Personally I'd rather have the SAS team focus on current threats and improving the detection/removal capabilities instead of allocating those resources to developing true 64-bit drivers. The fact of the matter is that 32-bit OS'es are more common.

I was actually just looking for a rough estimate from SAS, maybe it's very blue eyed because i understand why release estimates are not given, however no info have been forthcoming at all regarding something they have said is in development and who knows, it might have been just about to launch as a beta, thats why i asked. Yes, it will run on 32bit i'm fully aware of that, but it's a poor answer because it's as effective as a bucket of water in a forest fire (slight exaggeration, i know), i see no reason to use a program on an OS it is not certified/properly developed for. Using that logic you would never need proper drivers developed for the OS it was going to run on and actually clean in case of an infection: "Just install it, if it doesn't bluescreen you ok"!

Many vendors are providing and have provided 64bit support for a long time already. Sure 32bit is more common than 64bit, however 64bit is certainly NOT uncommon at all with the arrival of Vista.

Personally i would also like SAS team focus on current threats and improving the detection/removal capabilities, pretty much what you would expect from your security program though & not something on a wishlist, as well as develop the program for the most used OS's = XP & Vista 32/64bit, i don't see how this is going to difficult to achieve or even expect it from SAS.

Anyway, since this is not going to be answerred, i assume that a proper 64bit version is still not close to the beta phase, so please close this thread, Nick, so that it doesn't turn into a bashing thread ala the third post of this thread. I will just implement a: "See it when i see it" approach instead. 8)

Yes, it will run on 32bit i'm fully aware of that, but it's a poor answer because it's as effective as a bucket of water in a forest fire (slight exaggeration, i know), i see no reason to use a program on an OS it is not certified/properly developed for. Using that logic you would never need proper drivers developed for the OS it was going to run on and actually clean in case of an infection: "Just install it, if it doesn't bluescreen you ok"!

You hit it right on the nail here, to bad the developers don't see it that way.

I'll refrain myself from other comments, because it's pointless to make them.

Yes, it will run on 32bit i'm fully aware of that, but it's a poor answer because it's as effective as a bucket of water in a forest fire (slight exaggeration, i know), i see no reason to use a program on an OS it is not certified/properly developed for. Using that logic you would never need proper drivers developed for the OS it was going to run on and actually clean in case of an infection: "Just install it, if it doesn't bluescreen you ok"!

You hit it right on the nail here, to bad the developers don't see it that way.

I'll refrain myself from other comments, because it's pointless to make them.

Clearly you have not been involved in software development of this magnitude, so I understand why you may not agree with our "path", but we do careful, planned development and time it with the majority of market need.

So the x64 bit users are still forget! What maded the SAS team when Vista comes only in x64 bit??????

Or x64 dont need Real Time Protection!!

We are working on 64-bit support.

Its too bad some programmers and in the "slow lane" when it comes to writing applications for 64 bit operating systems. Microsoft first released 64 bit operating systems back in 2005. Most retailers have been selling 64 bit versions of Vista over 32 bit also. Windows 7 maybe be 64 bit only with the final release. I see no reason to own a 32 bit operating system anymore. 64 bit is far from new....

Its too bad some programmers and in the "slow lane" when it comes to writing applications for 64 bit operating systems. Microsoft first released 64 bit operating systems back in 2005. Most retailers have been selling 64 bit versions of Vista over 32 bit also. Windows 7 maybe be 64 bit only with the final release. I see no reason to own a 32 bit operating system anymore. 64 bit is far from new....

And so say the rest of us 64-bit users. :roll: Well put kins36.

I am running 64bit Vista Ultimate and the new beta version of SAS, I run with Kaspersky Internet Security and find it works quite well, of course would rather have a native 64bit platform but this is certainly acceptable until its developed. :lol:

There is no "slow lane" - we have to support what the MAJORITY of the users are using first - it's unfortunately the reality.