alicez

SAS problem

I have SAS on my Vista and so far - no problems. I had it on my WinXP desktop but had to remove because it would not work 'properly' with Norton Internet Security.

I also have on my WinXP notebook and during the past month when I tried to turn off my the notebook, I get a pop-up stating that notebook is trying to close SAS. That stays there for a few seconds and then it states (as far as I can remember) that it cannot shut down SAS; and so I just close the box and turn off the notebook.

Why is this happening?

Why would the SAS be running when I am turning the notebook OFF?

I do not use automatic update or scanning. Someone told me to put the SAS icon on the Taskbar (notifications area), and I wonder if that could be causing the pop-up when shutting off the computer (that SAS is still running and Windows is trying to turn it off).

Anyone have an answer/solution? If not, I will uninstall it, which I would not like to do.

Alice

Hi Alice,

I've just dealt with this same problem today, for the first time. It was on an older Dell laptop running WinXP. I am not absolutely certain that the following actually solved the problem, but this is all I did via a remote session, and the error message about SAS not being able to shut down did not reappear:

In SAS's preferences, select the Hi-Jack Protection tab. Uncheck the box for "Protect home page from being changed. Changes can be made only here."

Of course, this assumes the above mentioned checkbox is currently checked.

Mike

Thanks. I unchecked (on General/Startup Page) the "Show SAS icon in system tray." Also, unchecked "Start SAS when Windows starts." Since then, I have not been getting that SAS message when closing down (so far).

Are you showing SAS icon in system tray? If yes, then maybe that might related to your 'problem.'

I looked in the "Hi-Jack Protection" and see all four boxes are checked.

I have the Free SAS; therefore no scheduled scanning, as far as I know.

Seems many folks have SAS set-up differently and trying to find 'definitive' answers is a bit difficult. As I mentioned, I had it on my desktop, but it would not work with NIS. I have it on my Gateway notebook (WinXPsp3) and Toshiba notebook (Vista). The Gateway was the one that was getting the SAS (running) message on shut-down, but since I removed the SAS icon from tray, have not seen it (so far - fingers crossed).

Thanks again for the message.

Alice