Lusitano

Reducing update size

I did a basic test and I found that by using RAR or 7Z format you can reduce substantially SAS update size (and time too)

PROCESSLIST.DB

Original size - 12.618.447 bytes

ZIP - 2.579.715 bytes (the actual compression used by SAS at the moment)

RAR - 1.757.695 bytes

7Z - 1.568.782 bytes

1.010.933 bytes saved

PROCESSLISTRELATED.db

Original size - 1.111.700 bytes

ZIP - 162.569 bytes (the actual compression used by SAS at the moment)

RAR - 136.437 bytes

7Z - 126.701 bytes

35.868 bytes saved

Total savings: 1.046.801 bytes (1022.2 kilobytes)

Conclusion: by moving from standard ZIP to more advanced 7-zip you save about 1 megabyte :D

The problem is, 7z is open source, which means it can be altered at any time and is also open to security issues because the code is public.

So you are against open source?

No, we are not against it - it just poses many problems from the "inside" - typically open source code is poorly documented and people can change it at any time without approval, knowledge, etc. - this can "break" software products that depend on certain things to function. We have experienced this first hand with Firefox 3 - the developers completely stripped interfaces we used for ad-blocking with no regard to developers using them - for instance, Microsoft leaves the old ones in place to make sure software still works. Open source also allows people to "see" inside the code and find ways to exploit it much easier than proprietary systems.

I don't see your point. Zip compression is also under public domain... Even if 7zip format is changed in the future you don't have to change it. You only have to add the support for SAS unpack the databases.

I don't see your point. Zip compression is also under public domain... Even if 7zip format is changed in the future you don't have to change it. You only have to add the support for SAS unpack the databases.

Ok.