jgt1942

Detection of Adware Tracking Cookie

I just ran a scan on my system and 24 occurrences of "Adware Tracking Cookies" were found. Why are they now being detected? I ran a full scan a few days ago and at that time it was cleaned. I'm running SAS in real-time mode thus it would seem that they would be detected when they are added to my system and removed at that time not wait for a scan and then detect them.

I just ran a scan on my system and 24 occurrences of "Adware Tracking Cookies" were found. Why are they now being detected? I ran a full scan a few days ago and at that time it was cleaned. I'm running SAS in real-time mode thus it would seem that they would be detected when they are added to my system and removed at that time not wait for a scan and then detect them.

Cookies are not "harmful" so they are not blocked in real-time as it is a waste of system resources.

I agree that they are not harmful as a virus it but why wait for a scan to detect them? If real-time protection is turned on why not prevent the install of the cookie? Or at least give me an option that will prevent them from being installed.

Real time uses resources that are better spent on defeating Malware. I'm sure that when you think about it you'll agree? Yes? :)

Blocking third party cookies via the settings in your browser often reduces the tracking cookies significantly as well.

I don't accept cookies at all and it's hardly any trouble at all. The "problems" are few and very far apart:

- I only encountered one newspaper that would not show because of it so I had to allow that one cookie.

- Approximately one in 40 downloads will fail because of it. You get a small popup that tells you so. Then you go to Tools and allow that one cookie in, try the download again and all is well.

- Some Forums make your reply disappear and you'll have to write your answer all over again. But I usually remember to allow cookies for Forums

- Some sites will not let you register a user account. But again: then just allow the cookie.

- You can't vote in some polls. Newspapers uses cookies (and more) to make sure you don't vote twice. But if you must vote - then allow their cookie.

- If you run ComboFix the log will say: "FINDSTR: cannot open temp01". That's because it's closed - this is where the cookies would have gone. It is best to open it before running ComboFix so that it can do it's work properly. So allow cookies again before a major clean up.

When you have allowed your usual/favourite sites there is not much to it. Most sites you never log in to anyway. The worst that can happen is that you will have to do the same thing again. Click the download button again. Login again. Or write your Forum reply again.

And such incidents are rare. And it wont happen if you remembered to allow the site's cookie.

If you go to: Start -> Run -> write "Shell:Cookies" -> click on a line -> Ctrl+a -> Delete -> Yes

it will kill 95 pct. of all your cookies in an instant. It's the fastest way in my experience.