madmax

shutting down computer

This problem seems to keep cropping up, with no definitive answer, so lets try again :-

I've got SAS free, and also running Avast antivirus on the computer. When I am shutting down the computer, a box comes up showing SAS details, & saying "ending programme, please wait" I then have to wait for it to end (usually just a few seconds) This is not a great inconvenience, but it should just not happen. I have found in the past, when something like this has happened (It was a known bug in Microsoft office 2003, & a simple update cured it)that it was the fault of the programme, not the computer. Can you confirm that the problem is definitely not with SAS, or do you suggest that it might be Avast causing the problems. What I really need is instructions on how to fix the problem.

Thank you, in advance.

It appears to be the other realtime scanners AVG/Avast, etc. holding our process open so we can't properly shut down. If you (AS A TEST) turn off those products, can you shut down normally?

If not consistent, it's very difficult to make a diagnosis from afar. Suggest replacing a suspected offender as noted above, to see if you can narrow to a specific program. :)

https://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2288

Win XP SP3 seems to be the problem, because i'm fairly sure that i had no problems with SP2.

yep i agree- and it is still doing it on this newest version.

It is a random thing, and it doesn't show up in event viewer either. When i first installed the newest free version and reboot the computer it did not happen. Today shutting down the computer it happened again. This is my test machine and i removed the antivirus program just to see if that was causing the problem and did a reboot again. Superantispyware free end tasked again. Now there was no antivirus program on the computer to conflict it. I also unchecked almost everything in msconfig in startup except superantispyware and a few things that need to run on startup. The first reboot had no problems. but the 3rd reboot- again it end tasked.

I have a client that is still on sp2. She doesn't have this problem at all and she is running AVG 8.0

It seems to be happening on those who have sp3.

robin

Yes, I've just updated to the latest free SAS, & I've shut the computer down twice, without it happening. Let's see what happens in the future!

Incidentally, one of the shutdowns was after SAS had found 4 adware tracking cookies, & told me that I must reboot to remove them. I checked up on previous updates, & found that the update to v4.21.1004 (4th september 2008) contained the following:- "reboot when cookies are detected in certain cases resolved, reboot is no longer required". I beg to differ! Reboot is most certainly required on about half of the scans that I do. (each scan contains tracking cookies, but only half need a reboot)

For those running XP, I was wandering if UPHClean could clear up this. I've only had this happen once/twice in a long period of time. Have UPHClean installed, don't think it has happened since installation of UPHClean.

Third time lucky? Not really! After updating, the first two shut downs were fine - Third & subsequent times, the problem cropped up again.

I've also installed UPHClean, & it doesn't make any difference whatsoever - the problem's still there.

I'm more convinced than ever, with everybody else's comments, that the problem is a bug in the programme itself.

Has this SAS Pro hang on shutdown problem been resolved yet?

My two XP Home SP3 computers both have this annoying habit whether or not BitDefender is enabled.

Moley

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

I've done the download, as you suggested. It has made not the slightest difference. The problem is still there.

Have you got a plan B?

Still happening here,version 4.25.1012. If my machine is left on all day then the shutdown glitch appears, but if the PC has been on for a short period it seems to shut down as normal. I have no idea if this has any relevance at all.