alicez

SAS pops up

When I turn on my notebook and the desktop is finished loading, the SAS screen pops up. Why is this happening?

Alice

Thank you.

I meant that the SAS screen opened (the program), which reads at top "SuperAntiSpyware Control Center."

In the "General and Startup" I noticed that "Start SuperAntiSpyware when Windows starts" was checked. I un-checked it and now when I turn on my notebook, I do not see the SAS program screen showing.

I believe (at least I hope so) that when that item is checked, the SAS opens as soon as the desktop finishes 'loading.

Alice

Please re-read above post, if you are running the professional Real Time is not on, Is the program icon on the task bar? Look over all the settings. The "start when windows starts" does not refer to a scan and should be checked , if not and you become infected, there may be no way to start the program. :)

Repeating what has happened:

I have the FREE version of SAS 4.23.1006. I noticed when I turned on my 2 c omputers (desktop and notebook) that the SAS program would open on the screen after the desktop loaded.

I looked in the SAS Preferences and saw that the "start SAS when windows starts" was checked and I UNCHECKED it.

Now I do not see the SAS program open when I turn on my computers.

(Is this a bug? And the SAS screen should not be opening when I start my computer when the "start SAS when windows starts?")

There is no SAS icon in lower right of my screen

The "Splash" was already UN-checked.

Someone said the "start SAS when windows starts" should always be checked.

I am confused!

Can I leave the "start SAS when windows starts" UN-CHECKED (so the SAS program screen does not appear every time I turn on my computer). Or must "start when windows starts" always be CHECKED?

If SAS starts when Windows starts then it should be possible to run if the system becomes infected. If it's not running at the time it might not be possible to start SAS after an infection that prevents it from starting. So it is best to have SAS start when Windows starts.

You must have the "Show SAS icon in system tray" checked to keep the control panel from showing at start. Then you should have a tray icon but no control panel until you click the SAS icon. It should be alright to have the splash screen show at start up and can be checked.

Why does the SAS icon have to be in the task bar?

And why does the SAS have to "start when windows starts" if the FREE version doesn't have Real Time protection.

It says on the Internet:

"Although the free version of 'Superantispyware' does not include 'real time' protection...."

It doesn't have to start when Windows starts but some infections may keep it from starting once the PC is infected so it's best to have SAS start when Windows starts in case of this type of infection. As for the system tray icon, if there is no system tray icon then the control panel will appear when the program starts.

So to use SAS to scan an infected system it's best to have already running before infection and to keep the control panel from appearing when the program starts, the system tray icon must be enabled.

If the system has limited resources you may want to keep SAS from starting when Windows starts so it isn't running.

Another point to consider, the context menu scanner is only enabled when the SAS GUI is open or the icon is showing. I use the Pro version which when idle, even it only consumes 330K to 360K memory (XP). I wouldn't think that small amount would be a drain on any system.

So, all I should do, is check the "Show SAS icon in taskbar" in SAS Properties/General.

Is that correct?

I do NOT need to check the "start SAS when windows starts," which has the SAS window 'pop-up' when I turn on my notebook (and desktop)?

I do NOT need to check the "Show splash screen on startup."

#1- Show SAS icon in system tray, and

#2- Use Windows XP style menus

Should be the only TWO checked in that area.

Is that correct?

#3- After checking "show SAS icon in taskbar," I do not see the 'icon' (in the taskbar) when I turn on the computer. Shouldn't it be showing?

#4- After checking "show SAS icon in taskbar," I do not see SAS in the MSCONFIG/StartUp. Shouldn't it be showing there if it is supposed to be "already running."

I am really confused.

You won't see the icon unless SAS starts when Windows starts. Showing the splash screen or not shouldn't make a difference. If SAS starts when Windows and it shows the tray icon then the control panel shouldn't show.

Still confused, sorry.

This is what I see recommended on the Internet:

sasnr1.jpg

If you can't see image, you can see it at: http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sasnr1.jpg

It shows only the "Show icon in system tray," AND "use Windows XP style menus."

Does anyone know POSITIVELY just what MUST be checked for SAS (FREE version) to run properly? I just want to use it as a scan program (because it is FREE version, it does not have Real Time protection).

(I have this FREE version on my Win XP sp3 notebook and also on my Vista notebook.)

You need to pay attention to the information being conveyed. All have been valid. Forget the Why's :) SAS below refers to SuperAntispyware. REGARDLESS of version FREE or PRO for reasons given above :)

Check :Start SAS when windows starts

Check: Show SAS icon in system tray

Check: Do not scan when SAS starts

Check: Use Windows XP style menues (if applicable)

best, :)

Thank you.

That's all I wanted to know. As a novice will all of this 'stuff,' it is quite intimidating and I do not want to do anything that might 'screw-up' my notebooks. I would like each program to be running with best settings. I would not like to use a program and have the settings incorrectly set.

I will do the following on my WinXP notebook:

Check: Start SAS when windows starts

Check: Show SAS icon in system tray

Check: Do not scan when SAS starts

Check: Use Windows XP style menues (if applicable)

---------------------------------------------------

And will do the same on my Vista Premium and will also check:

Integrate with Vista Security Center