steel shoe

Locked in endless boot mode after running SAS

I ran SAS to remove AV2009 ,Trojan.dropper/base and Vundo in normal mode(not safe) and after rebooting I am locked in an endless reboot loop where XP and emachine screens alternate. The machine will not start in safe mode or revert to last known working condition. Emachine techs tell me I must reload op sys.

Is anyone aware of any alternatives?

There is always a risk when disinfecting a system.

Unfortunately, your only option now is to reinstall the OS. The two types of installs are a repair install and a clean install. The former will have no affect on your personal data and programs. Which option you choose, depends on what reinstallation cd's you have. You'll need to talk to eMachines again to see if the repair installation is possible.

Also note that when a repair is not possible with the current cd's, techs will use a Dell cd and the customer's COA to repair XP. 8)

What about using pebuilder and antivir rescue to rename and replace corrupted files as recommended by XPsunny on friday July 25th. 2008 Titled "XP goes into endless loop" PAGE 5 this forum? This seemed to work for another user with similiar problems.

Unfortunately, your only option now is to reinstall the OS.

Not quite yet. If you had system restore enabled you can revert to a previous restore point.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

You can skip a lot of the steps if you have the drive slaved, or if you use UBCD, ERD Commander, etc. Basically you need to do the following:

1) gain access the System Volume Information folder

2) pick a recent restore folder - copy the 5 registry files to a tmp dir, rename them, now right-click > copy

3) navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Config - paste and overwrite or delete the old versions then paste

4) Reboot

Hello, I see the tech bulletin states to only use this option if the machine does not use an OEM installed os. The emachine w3050 has OEM installed xp. Do you have any other suggestions that may help if I do not have a slave?

I do not have a UBCD that I am aware of, but I do have copies of pebuilder and antivir rescue, although I have never used these before and don't know if they are correct for this application.

I had the same problem when i had shut down the computer as i could not manually shut the scan down i didnt even get the the Emachine part i just had a black screen and a orange light on the moniter. and when i do eventually get to the emahicne screen it gets locked

i dont know weither ppl think this SAS is good but my personal opinion is it's quite crap to be perfrectally honest.

i would be more than happy to remove it from my computer but then its going out and buying a new proctection and anitaspyware and i haven't really got the money to do so any sugestions

Hannah-Lou

i dont know weither ppl think this SAS is good but my personal opinion is it's quite crap to be perfrectally honest.

i would be more than happy to remove it from my computer but then its going out and buying a new proctection and anitaspyware and i haven't really got the money to do so any sugestions

Hannah-Lou

You think our software is crap?

Here is what I think:

1) Some people on this forum say your software is crap, but I chose to use it . I wish I had not, because the machine is in endless reboot loop and I am unable to get reasonable support from SAS.

2) I feel that this is not an unusual problem with SAS and there should be guidance to rectify or warn against this issue.

3) See my above posts and references to another forum members' solution. SAS chastised this member for perpetrating bad information on " our products". This members information turned out to repair the problem and SAS was nowhere to be found.

4) This member left the forum and I wish He was still available to help me with my problem.

5) If SAS spent as much effort rectifying this endless loop problem as it did in calling down and educating this previous members suggestions I think I would not have an unusable computer. This problem is because I chose to use your software.

6) I can not expect that SAS can fix everything for free, but I would expect better.

7)I am sure that your software has helped some as evidenced by this forum. I personally would not use the product again or recommend it to anyone because of my experiences.

I DO APPRECIATE ALL FORUM MEMBERS WHO HAVE TAKEN TIME OUT TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.

SUPERAntiSpyware didn't harm your system, the infectoin you have is what harmed the system. With millions of active users, our software certainly is not "crap". It's like getting an disease, then blaming the doctor. We create software and provide it for free, but yet you want to insult us, put down our software, call it crap and then want us to assist you.

My suggestion for restoring the damage caused by the infection is to use your system restore disks and restore your system to the original state - that is the only way to ensure whatever harm the infection did is completely gone.

I only explained my problem and lack of effective support from SAS.

I don't usually get on the defensive or Attack band wagon.

But what are you trying to say???

Are you looking for someone to blame for you installing malware on your system and trashing it.

If you had no real time anti-malware running when you installed that crap (AV2009) then the system was doomed to be trashed right there and then. Installing AV/AM after the damage is done is just a fingers crossed last chance scenario that very rarely works out for the best.

The first line of defense is user common sense, then it comes down to security apps.

Stop trying to point the finger at someone for what was your actions in the first place....

You have been given good advice.... So Bite the bullet and repair or reinstall the OS. That's about all the choices you have.